Big Data Backend Engineer
London, United Kingdom
Engineering – Engineering - London
Permanent Full Time
We believe technology should secure the digital interactions of employees without compromising user experience or productivity. That’s why we’re building the world’s first Human Layer Security platform.
We’re a team of mathematicians, data scientists & engineers building breakthrough machine learning and natural language technologies to analyse, understand & protect enterprise email networks.
Tessian is backed by leading technology investors Sequoia Capital and Accel who have helped build many industry defining companies including Stripe, Slack, Crowdstrike and Dropbox.
We'd love to hear from you.
Engineering at Tessian
As a high-growth scale-up, our email datasets are growing at an exponential rate. This is a great problem to have as it allows us to train best-in-class machine learning models to prevent previously unpreventable data breaches. We have scaled to the point where our current data pipelines are not where we want them to be, this is why we’re looking to hire our first Big Data Backend Engineer.
You will sit in our Defender Algo team and work day-to-day with our Data Scientists and Engineers to engineer solutions to iterate quickly on terabytes of data. We view this role as a hugely impactful, high-leverage role and strongly believe that if we can can query all of our data, in near real-time and using scalable systems then we can deliver more value to our clients through the data breaches we prevent.
Read more about Engineering at Tessian:
Your responsibilities will include:
- Building systems to efficiently handle our ever increasing volume of data
- Designing and implementing data pipelines as well as owning the vision of what our systems could achieve in the future
- Designing systems to expose data to our product and engineering teams in a performant way
- Mentoring the Data Science team on how to work with data at scale
We're looking for someone who:
- Is a highly-skilled developer who understands software engineering best practices (git, CI/CD, testing, reviewing, etc)
- Has experience working with distributed data systems such as Spark
- Has deep knowledge of the AWS ecosystem and has managed AWS production environments
- Has experience with Docker and container orchestration systems like AWS ECS and Kubernetes
Some interesting projects we’re working on:
- An ETL pipeline transforming millions of tiny files on AWS Glue to the Parquet file format for efficient querying
- Designing existing pipelines to use Spark setting ourselves up to handle massive future scale
- Building a new Flask app framework allowing us to standardise how we deploy all models to production
- Dumping terabytes of data from production databases, in real-time in a performant, scalable and secure way
- Building a lightweight data labelling system designed specifically for labelling emails at scale
Why we think you'll love it here:
- It’s important to us that all Tessians are part of the journey we’re on, so we offer equity options with every role and benchmark to provide above market rate salaries - there’s plenty more too….
- A full week of work-remote a year, in addition to 25 days of paid holiday
- Flexible working hours and working from home
- Curate your career with development experiences uniquely suited to you
- We’re family friendly, with policies built to support you in all stages of life
- High-quality tech kit provided for you to work on including Tessian ANC headphones
- If you're relocating to join the team, we'll provide a contribution to help with your costs
- A plethora of breakfast options, delicious snacks, drinks and a top-of-the-range coffee machine
- Team lunch provided on Fridays - normally with more hummus than you can shake a stick at
- Dinner budget for those times you just can’t tear yourself away
- Elite membership of the Tessian House System...
- On Fridays we stop at 5 and share team updates and drinks
- Monthly team socials & a big, whole team extravaganza every quarter
- Never-ending ping-pong tournaments
Be at your best, both inside and outside of work
Because everyone loves food...
Equality & diversity
Tessian is an equal opportunity employer, committed to equality and diversity amongst both our employees and prospective applicants. The Human Layer we're securing is diverse, and we know we need to be diverse and inclusive to successfully create HLS that reflects this. You can read our equality and diversity statement here.
As part of our commitment to equality and diversity, we're also a corporate member of the WISE Campaign for gender equality in STEM & we're a founding member of the WEDS network driving diversity & inclusion in startups.
Please note that we do not accept applications or résumés from recruiters. Any unsolicited CVs, profiles, or names, submitted in any format, by any channel, to any of our team, will be deemed to fall outside any terms and/or conditions with either the person submitting the information or their company of employment/representation.
Please note, that any job offers will be subject to the candidate passing background screening checks.