Site Reliability Engineer
Open- United States /
Engineering – Infrastructure /
We believe communication belongs to everyone. We exist to democratize phone service. TextNow is evolving the way the world connects and that's because we're made up of people with curious minds who bring an optimistic, yet critical lens into the work we do. We're the largest provider of free phone service in the nation. And we're just getting started.
Join us in our mission to break down barriers to communication and free the flow of conversation for people everywhere.
TextNow is looking for motivated Site Reliability Engineers (SRE's) to own infrastructure, monitoring, logging, ci/cd, reliability and everything in between!
What You’ll Do:
- Be responsible for maintaining and scaling production services and servers for complex and high throughput.
- Improve scalability, service reliability, capacity, and performance.
- Write automation code for provisioning and operating infrastructure at scale.
- Build tools for internal use to support software engineering best practices.
- You are not an operator; you’re an experienced software engineer focused on operations.
- Work with development teams to make sure the applications fit nicely within the infrastructure and scalability/reliability/security is designed and implemented from the start.
- Participate in on-call rotation, being responsible for uptime and support.
- Roll up the sleeves to troubleshoot incidents, formulate and test your hypotheses, and narrow down possibilities to find the root cause.
Who You Are:
- Creator of cool stuff with experience deploying web apps and distributed, service-oriented architectures.
- Brilliant Collaborator with 8+ years of professional experience in an operationally focused role, preferably in DevOps or SRE, with a B.S., M.S., or PhD. in Computer Science (or equivalent).
- Someone who takes action and ownership with proven ability to use automation tools.
- Respectfully candid with the ability to motivate people to act and work on behalf of our customer.
- A bold risk-taker and self-starter who loves to solve challenging problems.
- Resourceful and scrappy with the ability to be strategic, roll up your sleeves and execute.
- Strong knowledge of Linux and open source software
- Understanding of modern web architecture (HTTPS, REST) and technology stacks
- 2+ years of experience with programming/scripting languages (Bash, Go, Python, Ruby, etc.)
- Experience with deployment automation using Ansible, Puppet, and Terraform
- Experience supporting various databases such as MariaDB, Redis, and various NOSQL engines
- Experience deploying containers using Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience working in the Amazon public cloud (AWS)
- Experience supporting mobile applications (Android and iOS)
- Experience in the telecommunications industry
Benefits, Culture, & More:
· Strong work life blend
· Flexible work arrangements (wfh, remote, or access to one of our office spaces)
· Employee Stock Options
· Unlimited vacation
· Competitive pay and benefits
· Parental leave
· Benefits for both physical and mental well being
· Travel is required a few times a year for various team events, company wide off-sites, and more
Diversity and Inclusion:
At TextNow, our mission is built around inclusion and offering a service for EVERYONE, in an industry that traditionally only caters to the few who have the means to afford it. We believe that diversity of thought and inclusion of others promotes a greater feeling of belonging and higher levels of engagement. We know that if we work together, we can do amazing things, and that our differences are what make our product and company great.
Accommodations for Candidates:
The People and Culture team is available to support you through the hiring process by providing reasonable accommodations to help enable a barrier-free interview experience. If you need assistance applying for a role due to a disability or special need, please let us know by completing this form. Once received our Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Specialist will reach out to you and assist with accommodations that you may require.
Covid-19 Vaccine Requirement:
TextNow is committed to providing a safe working environment for all employees. Our Work Best policy allows for employees to work from the US or Canada- but there are a couple of times a year that teams or the company come together in person for meetings and celebrations. We have a duty and a responsibility to protect the health and safety of our employees and it is for this reason that it is critical that TextNow and TextNovians take any and all reasonable precautions to protect against COVID-19. TextNow has a mandatory vaccination requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19. You will be required to be fully vaccinated by your start date. Questions? Reach out to email@example.com