Senior Director, Data Science & Engineering
Engineering – Data
TextNow is based around a simple idea: Communication belongs to everyone. We work hard to help people stay connected by offering a solution that makes phone service free. At TextNow, we work together to solve complex and interesting problems that have a positive impact on our customers lives.
Join us in our mission to help people stay connected with technology that is free (or as close to free as possible.)
Text Now is looking for a talented and experienced Senior Data engineering leader. You would manage and grow an engineering organization at the heart of TextNow. As the leader of our Data Engineering organization, you will be responsible for leading a team of centralized technical functions — engineering, data science, etc. — responsible for building tools and surfacing data insights that empower TextNow. Reporting to the VP of Engineering, with regular interactions with the engineering peers and executive leadership, this senior leadership role is focused on enhancing business insight and scaling systems as the company continues to rapidly grow.
What You'll Do:
- You have a track record of leading and building distributed data scientist and data engineering teams in software companies.
- You possess a strong ability to uncover actionable insights, research trends and competitive analysis.
- You have forward looking capabilities and can leverage data to enable new customer experiences and solve high value engineering problems.
- You have a proven ability to partner cross functionally and support the business in making data driven decisions.
- You distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team. Focus on the customer and business outcomes.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to be personable yet persistent.
- Proven track record of meeting business targets.
Who You Are:
- Creator of cool shit together with ownership of the delivery of Business Insights and technologies to support growth of TextNow.
- Brilliant, but not a jerk with the ability to lead and grow a team of passionate engineers to join our distributed team. Provide support and guidance that enables the team to self-organize and to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability. Help employees grow through career development, coaching, and mentoring while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential.
- Someone who takes action and ownership with a great ability to partner with the senior executive team and product leaders to define, deliver, and implement scalable strategies to meet Product launches and business initiatives.
- Respectfully candid with the ability to manage, build and attract a world class team of data professionals in San Francisco and Waterloo. Should have directly managed teams of 10+ individual contributors and entry/ mid-level managers
- A bold risk-taker and self-starter who is a leader of a critical part of TextNow’s senior engineering team and contribute to TextNow’s overall engineering strategy and direction. You will guide teams through tech choices in order to deliver accurate modeling and performant infrastructure and tooling.
- Resourceful and scrappy with a strong ability to collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects, and Tech Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities
· Strong work life blend
· Flexible work arrangements (wfh, remote)
· Employee Stock Options
· Unlimited vacation
· Competitive pay and benefits
· Parental leave top up
· Benefits for both physical and mental well being
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION:
At TextNow, our mission is built around inclusion and offering a service for EVERYONE, in an industry that traditionally only caters to the few who have the means to afford it. We believe that diversity of thought and inclusion of others promotes a greater feeling of belonging and higher levels of engagement. We know that if we work together, we can do amazing things, and that our differences are what make our product and company great.