Director, Growth Engineering
Open- Canada /
Engineering – Backend /
We believe communication belongs to everyone. We exist to democratize phone service. TextNow is evolving the way the world connects and that's because we're made up of people with curious minds who bring an optimistic, yet critical lens into the work we do. We're the largest provider of free phone service in the nation. And we're just getting started.
Join us in our mission to break down barriers to communication and free the flow of conversation for people everywhere.
The TextNow Engineering team is growing, and we are in search of leaders to support growth via User Acquisition initiatives as well as monetization. In this role, we are in search of a people leader who will manage a team of 5-10 engineers, working closely with direct reports, cross-functional Engineering teams, growth marketing, data analytics, as well as product management. As part of the Growth team, you will be leading a team with a bias toward action and partner heavily with the growth cross-functional leaders to drive both Daily Active Users (DAUs) as well as Ads Revenue. In this role, you will thrive in ambiguous situations, integrate with others across the marketing and advertising stack, and develop a culture of innovation.
What You’ll Do:
- Leading a group of talented engineers and both internal and external parties to acquire customers and generate revenue through programmatic advertising channels.
- You will have experience in both solutions architecture and partner engineering in the marketing and advertising space as well as intimate knowledge of building the technology firsthand.
- You will set direction for the team, lead through mentorship, and subject matter expertise, and scale product and partner solutions through short-, mid-, and long-term planning.
- You will deliver a technical strategy that will drive towards exponential growth as a consumer product & advertising platform.
- Take full ownership of projects from design to deployment and collaborate closely with other engineers and designers
- From the monetization perspective, you will have experience building solutions for SEO, Conversion, and Retention to drive top of funnel growth and accelerate experimentation across the Engineering organization.
- You will be responsible for recruiting, retaining and mentoring team of talented engineers to help reach Objectives & Key Results.
What You Have:
- Deep experience of how to build consumer products and high-performance team to reach scale.
- Proficient in Golang. Familiar with clean, maintainable iOS applications in Objective-C and Swift using the latest iOS programming techniques
- Minimum of 7-10 years of people management experience with an engineering team. Experienced as a software developer on growth initiatives.
- Proficient in Cloud computing – preferably AWS.
- Ability to apply design principles and methodologies for building scalable and high-performance backend components.
- Experience in relational and non-relational databases as well as microservices, REST, and APIs
- Experience in telecommunication (calling, messaging, wireless) is a major asset.
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Software, or equivalent practical experience
- Strong fundamentals – know data structures, algorithms, OO design
- Excellent problem solution, critical thinking, and communication skills
- Experienced in a variety of iOS or Android frameworks
- Previous experience in Optimization, Installs / Activations via proprietary solutions & attribution.
Benefits, Culture, & More:
· Strong work life blend
· Flexible work arrangements (wfh, remote, or access to one of our office spaces)
· Employee Stock Options
· Unlimited vacation
· Competitive pay and benefits
· Parental leave
· Benefits for both physical and mental well being
· We travel a few times a year for various team events, company wide off-sites, and more
Diversity and Inclusion:
At TextNow, our mission is built around inclusion and offering a service for EVERYONE, in an industry that traditionally only caters to the few who have the means to afford it. We believe that diversity of thought and inclusion of others promotes a greater feeling of belonging and higher levels of engagement. We know that if we work together, we can do amazing things, and that our differences are what make our product and company great.
Accommodations for Candidates:
The People and Culture team is available to support you through the hiring process by providing reasonable accommodations to help enable a barrier-free interview experience. If you need assistance applying for a role due to a disability or special need, please let us know by completing this form. Once received our Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Specialist will reach out to you and assist with accommodations that you may require.
TextNow is committed to providing a safe working environment for all employees. Our Work Best policy allows for employees to work from the US or Canada- but there are a couple of times a year that teams or the company come together in person for meetings and celebrations. We have a duty and a responsibility to protect the health and safety of our employees and it is for this reason that it is critical that TextNow and TextNovians take any and all reasonable precautions to protect against COVID-19. TextNow has a mandatory vaccination requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 if you plan to attend company events and work from one of our office locations. You will be required to be fully vaccinated by your start date. Questions? Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org