Senior Data Infrastructure Engineer
Open- United States /
Engineering – Data /
TextNow is based around a simple idea: Communication belongs to everyone. We work hard to help people stay connected by offering a solution that makes phone service free. At TextNow, we work together to solve complex and interesting problems that have a positive impact on our customers lives.
Join us in our mission to help people stay connected with technology that is free (or as close to free as possible.)
TextNow is looking for an experienced Data Infrastructure Engineer. You’ll be a central figure in determining the design, architecture and performance of TextNow’s data platform, which helps power a service used by over 200M people. You will lead cross functional efforts with SRE, product, backend engineering and data science to understand where to insert the right big data technology. This is a senior-level position and accordingly, you’re expected to be a technology thought leader throughout the org.
What You’ll Do:
- Create libraries and tooling that make distributed computation simple and accessible for users within TextNow.
- Develop tools to monitor, debug, and analyze data pipelines to ensure data quality and reliability.
- Troubleshoot data issues and build customized reports to investigate key business questions.
- Explore available technologies and design solutions to continuously improve our data quality, workflow reliability, and scalability. Perform capacity planning and cost estimates of proposed solutions.
- Be a champion of TextNow’s data ecosystem by working with engineering and SRE to guide data strategy for governance, security, privacy, quality and retention that will satisfy business policies and requirements.
- Be an expert on open source big data technologies e.g., Spark, Hadoop, Iceberg, Presto, etc.
- Create libraries that enable engineers to easily interact with various serialization frameworks.
Who You Are:
- Creator of cool shit that will be instrumental in building a modern data platform that is used for multiple internal use cases e.g., monetization, personalization, finance, data science, data engineering, user acquisition.
- Brilliant, but not a jerk with at least 5+ years of experience in data engineering and/or data infrastructure.
- Someone who takes action and ownership with years of hands-on experience of spinning up and maintaining data infrastructure in AWS, GCP or equivalent.
- Respectfully candid with the ability to initiate and drive projects to completion with minimal guidance. Highly organized, structured work approach and dependable. Expected ability to manage and communicate data warehouse plans to internal partners.
- A bold risk-taker and self-starter who proactively sees areas of improvement and drives the change the needed to make it happen.
- Resourceful and scrappy with a keen eye on ROI -- knowledge of ad serving platforms and online advertising systems is a plus.
· Strong work life blend
· Flexible work arrangements (wfh, remote)
· Employee Stock Options
· Unlimited vacation
· Competitive pay and benefits
· Parental leave top up
· Benefits for both physical and mental well being
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION:
At TextNow, our mission is built around inclusion and offering a service for EVERYONE, in an industry that traditionally only caters to the few who have the means to afford it. We believe that diversity of thought and inclusion of others promotes a greater feeling of belonging and higher levels of engagement. We know that if we work together, we can do amazing things, and that our differences are what make our product and company great.