Senior Software Developer, Client-Side Calling
Open- Canada /
Engineering – Client /
TextNow is based around a simple idea: Communication belongs to everyone. We work hard to help people stay connected by offering a solution that makes phone service free. At TextNow, we work together to solve complex and interesting problems that have a positive impact on our customers lives.
Join us in our mission to help people stay connected with technology that is free (or as close to free as possible.)
TextNow is building the future of calling. Our apps are used by over 15 million monthly active users who make over 7 million phone calls every day. We are building a modern calling solution for all of our users across all of our apps. We are looking for a software engineer to help us architect, implement, deploy, and monitor our calling stack across iOS and Android.
What You’ll Do:
- Enhance and refactor our cross-platform calling stack, with a focus on its integration into iOS.
- Use Swift and modern C++ (17/20) to implement new calling features for our users.
- Improve call quality and reliability, implement monitoring and analytics
- Own the investigation, debugging, and resolution of calling issues in production code.
- Design and re-architect our codebase to keep it modern and maintainable
Who You are:
- Brilliant, but not a jerk with a desire to collaborate with a talented team that works together to amplify each other and our output.
- Creates cool shit with a strong desire to continue learning new technologies and ways of getting work done.
- Takes action and ownership with a proven ability to quickly design, implement, and iterate on effective solutions against an agile and fast-moving codebase.
- Is respectfully candid with the ability to motivate people to take action, advocate new ideas or solutions, and always be working on behalf of our customers.
- A bold risk-taker and self-starter who loves to deep dive and own challenging problems, who will want to learn new languages and protocols, and who will want to move their skills and knowledge forward.
- Resourceful and scrappy with the ability to be strategic and effective in solving very technical problems for a large number of users.
- 3+ years of iOS software development experience, including Swift
- Knowledge of C++, or an interest in learning modern C++.
- Knowledge of CallKit and Audio Toolbox/AVAudioSession considered an asset.
- Knowledge of WebRTC, and/or SIP is preferred.
· Strong work life blend
· Flexible work arrangements (wfh, remote)
· Employee Stock Options
· Unlimited vacation
· Competitive pay and benefits
· Parental leave top up
· Benefits for both physical and mental well being
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION:
At TextNow, our mission is built around inclusion and offering a service for EVERYONE, in an industry that traditionally only caters to the few who have the means to afford it. We believe that diversity of thought and inclusion of others promotes a greater feeling of belonging and higher levels of engagement. We know that if we work together, we can do amazing things, and that our differences are what make our product and company great.