Android Engineer (Remote)
United States /
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About the Role
We’re looking for an experienced engineer who can build beautiful, polished user experiences and architect elegant, maintainable code. Successful candidates keep up-to-date with best practices and prioritize code quality. Our entire engineering team is very involved in making product decisions, and you'd be trusted and encouraged to try out your own ideas and features.
You can check out our current Android app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theathletic
- Work with Design and Product teams to build UI that is beautiful, performant, and well-engineered.
- Architect and build the app to optimize for performance, growth, scalability, ease of future development, and code quality.
- Write unit and functional tests to ensure maximum code and app quality
- Investigate, debug, and fix user-reported production issues.
- Brainstorm new product ideas and improvements alongside the design and product teams.
- Refactor existing code where needed in order to improve quality of life for the other engineers.
- Work within a highly cross-functional team, iterating on process and making your own suggestions for improvements.
- 2+ years experience with native Android development in Kotlin.
- Preferred experience with GraphQL, Coroutines & Jetpack Compose.
- Consumer-facing product and design instincts with a desire to have a voice in product decisions.
- Preferred experience in an early-stage startup working on growth and scale challenges.
- The current team is largely based in San Francisco, CA, but this role can be based in a 100% remote capacity within the United States or Canada.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.