Senior CRM Marketing Manager
United States /
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 500 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.
About the Role
The Athletic is seeking a Senior CRM Marketing Manager to join our team. In this role, you will be responsible for developing strategies and executing programs to convert, engage and retain subscribers throughout their lifecycle. The ideal candidate is customer-centric marketer with an entrepreneurial spirit and successful history developing impactful CRM programs that drive the business forward.
- Develop the strategy and lead the execution of programs that build relationships with free users, drive trial starts and conversions, engage subscribers and win back churned users across email, push, and in-app channels.
- Drive continuous improvement of business and channel-specific KPIs, maintaining a clear optimization plan and documenting best practices
- Analyze program results, develop benchmarks, and create and share regular performance reports
- Collaborate with analytics team to build reporting dashboards, plan and analyze optimization tests and identify new user insights to leverage in lifecycle marketing programs
- Work cross-functionally with the product marketing team on a range of projects from launching new features to developing segments and personas that enable CRM to personalize the user journey
- Partner with Product and Engineering to identify and build features that will support CRM marketing
- Communicate proactively and clearly with business leaders and stakeholders about strategy, execution, and performance tracking to plan.
- 6+ years experience planning, executing, and analyzing marketing automation campaigns, with a strong focus on email marketing.
- Superior project management and communication skills with the ability to balance rigorous attention to details with swift execution
- Proven experience leading an email/CRM management function
- Extensive experience working with CRM platforms (Iterable, Braze, Sailthru, etc.)
- A self-starting attitude, on the lookout for opportunities to make an impact without needing to be asked
- Strong analytical skills; able to create data-driven marketing strategies and campaigns
- Experience with A/B testing, messaging, and post-campaign analysis
- Working knowledge of HTML
- Interest in sports and media is a plus, but is not required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- The team is based in San Francisco, CA and the role can be based in a 100% remote capacity within the United States.
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.