Staff Editor, Universal Desk (Remote)
United States / Canada /
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About the Role
The Athletic is hiring an editor for our Universal Desk, which assists our vertical editors in publishing stories, primarily on nights and weekends.
- Line editing stories from start to finish for quality, style, grammar, punctuation, spelling.
- Choosing photos, writing headlines, and packaging stories that would appeal to an audience seeking differentiated content.
- Adding charts and graphs into the body of stories, as needed.
- Fact-checking, as needed.
- Flagging sensitive content for additional review by editorial leadership.
- Ability to work nights and weekends is a must.
- Knowledge of WordPress and photo editing skills.
- Deep knowledge across all sports is necessary.
- Must be meticulous and detail-oriented.
- At least five years of experience editing on digital platforms.
- This is a remote job based in the United States or Canada.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.