Director, Product Design - Core Product (Remote)
United States /
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About the Role
The Athletic has changed the way sports fans follow their favorite teams and leagues. Our product design team works at the intersection of our engineering, design, and data teams, as well as The Athletic’s Newsroom, the largest in sports media. Our team strives to craft sports experiences that blend technology with world class sports journalism.
As a hands-on design director who isn’t afraid to roll up her sleeves, you will set the design vision and standards across all parts of our product. You will be the go-to thought partner across our Growth, Audience and Engagement workstreams. You will be responsible for enabling product design managers and ICs to do the best work of their careers.
This is an exciting opportunity to have a major impact on all of the products that we ship and how our studio functions in order to ship them.
- Lead and help hire a team of product designers (managers/ICs) tasked with creating world class user experiences delivered through our mobile app and website.
- Evolve and nurture our product design system.
- Establish yourself as a thought leader across the organization, actively contributing to product strategy and roadmap.
- Present design concepts and solutions that align cross-functional partners, company executives, and external stakeholders.
- Communicate the progress and outcome of your work to your teammates and partners.
- Implement processes and best practices which increase team efficiency and effectiveness.
- 10+ years of relevant product design experience at a consumer company (media, sports, or subscription business is a big plus).
- 5+ years of managing a product design team.
- Experience shipping innovative interactive user experiences.
- Experience inspiring, influencing, aligning and collaborating with cross-functional teams and executives.
- Technical and business fluency. You know how to break down big challenges into smaller decisions framed as trade-offs (e.g. time vs. scope).
- Strong visual and interactive design sensibility, with a mastery of the field’s history and trends.
- Enthusiasm for The Athletic and sports.
- Ability to think at a high level about product and feature strategy but also act with speed and precision to actualize projects.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.