Strategist, Advertising Marketing (Remote)
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About The Role
The Athletic seeks a highly proactive, creative strategic mind to join our commercial team. You will identify insights, inspire ideas, and author proposals that help drive revenue for key advertisers.
Strategy is a team sport, and you will be an expert collaborator responsible for developing innovative, cross-platform integrated marketing programs for advertisers in partnership with
Sales, Planning, Program Management, Audio, Editorial, Social, Product, Marketing, Business Development and Creative teams to brainstorm and develop compelling solutions for our ad partners that drive company revenue across all sports verticals.
Success within The Athletic’s Advertising Marketing strategy team requires strategic thinking, a passion for media, an editorial mindset, and a high standard for visual presentations, all brought to life through a working understanding of the advertising landscape and an ability to translate market trends into advertising and custom content programs. Strategists will further develop these skills while working under the guidance of the broader strategy team, eventually taking on their own pitches in partnership with the sales team.
This role will be remote for candidates in the US or Canada.
- Develop a broad understanding of all of The Athletic’s properties and media products.
- Day-to-day pitch and proposal work in partnership with, and with oversight from, the broader Strategy team, building toward independent contribution.
- Collaborate with all relevant areas of the organization to develop and articulate compelling proposals that detail customized digital/social/audio sponsorship solutions and work with Sales to close deals.
- Coordinate kick off and brainstorm meetings, manage information coming from various teams, maintain timelines and hit deadlines.
- Creatively pull together all elements for pitch collateral (e.g., idea descriptions, screenshots, mock-ups, research, custom templates, etc), framing The Athletic’s media products in strategic ways that achieve client goals.
- Utilize research and data to articulate and support value propositions for client-specific pitches and proposals
- Attend sales calls to pitch advertising ideas when necessary.
- Monitor the competitive landscape and stay informed about new digital/social/audio products, offerings and standards to be an expert and resource for the integrated marketing and sales teams.
- You have at least 2 years of cross-platform media strategy experience.
- You have a growing understanding of the current social, branded content, digital, mobile and audio landscapes.
- You have participated in responding to client RFPs and making recommendations for how to use media to bring ideas to life in ways that meet clients' campaign objectives
- You are familiar with the media landscape and eager to become an expert at guiding smart media decisions.
- You have the ability to turn The Athletic reader data or third party research into clear insights that frame recommendations.
- You have the capacity to distill research into industry/client-relevant implications.
- You have a proven ability or aptitude to translate long-term client business objectives into solutions that could be provided by The Athletic.
- You have the ability to work quickly and efficiently to meet internal and client expectations.
- You have excellent writing, G Suite and PowerPoint skills. Any familiarity with design or visuals is, while not mandatory, helpful to have experience in.
- You have the desire to work in collaborative sales and marketing processes, including the interaction and strategy required in an advertising sales environment, liaising with multiple departments to reach desired outcomes.
- You love sports.
The annual base salary range for this role is $56,000.00 - $70,000.00 USD. The total compensation offered for this position may vary based on factors such as education, experience, skills, and location. It may also include non-cash rewards and benefits. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The Athletic offers unique perks and benefits to all full-time employees based on their country of residence. Our comprehensive US benefits package includes:
- Highly competitive, employer-contributed medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance plans.
- Savings accounts for medical, wellness, and childcare expenses.
- 401k retirement savings plan and employer match.
- Paid time off including paid sick leave, 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days of accrued paid time off, and up to 20 weeks of Paid Parental Leave.
For international candidates: Our global benefits packages offer similar benefits and perks, competitive to the local market.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Click here to review our Applicant Privacy Notice, which describes how and when The Athletic Media Company collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of job applicants and prospective employees.
Beware of fraudulent job recruiting schemes! Our recruiters use firstname.lastname@example.org exclusively. We do not conduct interviews via text or instant message and we do not ask candidates to download software, to purchase equipment through us, or to provide sensitive personally identifiable information, such as bank accounts or social security numbers. If you have been contacted by someone claiming to be a recruiter with The Athletic but operating from a different email address about a job offer, please report it as potential job fraud to the law enforcement and to email@example.com.