Data Engineer (Remote)
United States /
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 500 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.
About the Role
Our Data Engineering team owns the data infrastructure for our entire company. The team has built a modern data stack powering an analytics platform, product tools and features, and machine learning deployments, all hosted on AWS. The data eng team works closely with our product, engineering, data science, and analytics teams to build robust solutions to meet our growing data needs. You should be interested in building systems for scale, performance, and reliability. We all wear a lot of hats, so you’ll have the opportunity to work on database administration, ETL, microservice and model deployment, testing, experiments, and more depending on your interests. We’re a team of generalists and we’ll expect you to be one as well, interested in continuously learning new areas. Our team is always experimenting, and we trust and encourage our engineers to dream up and try out their own ideas and features.
- Work with Data Science, and Product teams to build and deploy features backed by machine learning and modern data toolsets.
- Architect and build data pipelines to optimize for performance, data quality, scalability, ease of future development, and cost.
- Build tools and data marts to enable analytics.
- Identify and fix issues and reduce tech debt.
- Investigate, debug, and fix user-reported production issues.
- Minimum 2 years data engineering experience.
- Bachelor's degree in CS or relevant discipline.
- Experience with Python, SQL, Docker, and cloud environment - AWS, GCP or Azure.
- Experience with Redshift, Kubernetes, and Spark desired.
- Experience in orchestrating/scheduling data pipelines.
- Proficient in source code control systems.
- Able to communicate results, outcomes and issues to different audiences.
- The current team is largely based in San Francisco, CA, but this role can be based in a 100% remote capacity within the United States or Canada.
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.