Social Media Associate
Los Angeles or Remote US /
Content Operations /
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 500 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York City, London, and Melbourne.
About the Role
The Athletic is looking for a creative content creator and strategist to join our team as Social Media Associate. In this role, you will be responsible for creating social-specific content designed to engage sports fans across the globe to drive growth, engagement and awareness. The Social Media Associate will have a strong familiarity with our content, a passion for media and sports, and a deep understanding of social media platforms, trends and tactics. This role will be based in Los Angeles or remote.
- 1 to 5 years experience in social media, digital marketing, or similar
- Knowledge of social media best practices & resources
- Creativity to engage a passionate audience of sports fans
- Analytical mindset with understanding of key social growth & engagement metrics
- Demonstrated platform fluency on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook in business/professional applications
- Experience managing multiple social channels
- Strong writing skills with a keen eye for detail, grammar & punctuation
- Design, video editing and Adobe Creative Cloud experience preferred
- Excellent communication skillsModerate evening and weekend work flexibly
- Role will be based in Los Angeles or remote
- Work with the social team to produce creative daily content for Twitter and Instagram, focused on engagement / conversation-starting posts
- Assist in developing and implementing reactive social strategy based on breaking news, major moments and live games
- Develop copy and visual assets to amplify top content (stories, podcasts)
- Assist in driving audience growth through social campaigns
- Work with the social team to build a sense of community around The Athletic, teams, podcasts and partners to increase engagement and drive growth from word of mouth
- Development of creative assets (design, video) for social platforms
- Assist in gathering insights and learnings through ongoing social testing and tracking, analyzing what’s working and what’s not to enable us to continually develop and improve our output
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.