Staff Editor, Motorsports (Remote)
Remote US /
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
The Athletic seeks a Staff Editor for its Motorsports desk. The candidate will be heavily involved in day-to-day coverage of F1 and NASCAR, including editing and publishing of content, writing breaking news, and collaborating with writers and editors. The ideal candidate will be self-starting and energetic, able to edit any kind of story, and willing to work nights and weekends.
- Edit stories from start to finish for quality, context, style and grammar.
- Follow best practices and use data and feedback on headline writing for SEO purposes.
- Be ready to jump on breaking news and participate in live coverage and collaborate with our news team on developing stories.
- Work with writers and editors to execute high-quality stories, features and analysis.
- Work with programming and social media teams to ensure our content is viewed by as many readers as possible.
- Embrace innovative methods to cover news in a live environment.
- Generate thoughtful, smart and relevant story ideas.
- Minimum 3 years experience in news and feature editing on digital platforms.
- Strong news judgment, a keen eye for detail, and high standards for accuracy and clarity.
- The ability to adapt to fast-paced work environments in which needs and priorities can change quickly.
- Deep knowledge of, and a passion for, F1 and Motorsports.
- Knowledge of SEO best practices.
- Knowledge of WordPress and photo editing skills is a plus.
- Since races occur on nights, weekends and holidays, those shifts will be required on a regular basis.
- This is a remote job that is located in the United Kingdom, United States or Canada.
The annual base salary range for this role is $47,000.00 - $80,000.00 USD. The total compensation offered for this position may vary based on factors such as education, experience, skills, and location. It may also include non-cash rewards and benefits. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The Athletic offers unique perks and benefits to all full-time employees based on their country of residence. Our comprehensive US benefits package includes:
- Highly competitive, employer-contributed medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance plans.
- Savings accounts for medical, wellness, and childcare expenses.
- 401k retirement savings plan and employer match.
- Paid time off including paid sick leave, 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days of accrued paid time off, and up to 20 weeks of Paid Parental Leave.
For international candidates: Our global benefits packages offer similar benefits and perks, competitive to the local market.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Click here to review our Applicant Privacy Notice, which describes how and when The Athletic Media Company collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of job applicants and prospective employees.