Staff Writer, St. Louis Cardinals (MLB)
St. Louis, MO /
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 500 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.
About the Role
The Athletic is looking for an energetic, motivated writer who is interested in taking charge of a beat and telling unique and differentiating stories to an audience that appreciates quality above all else.
• Excellent news sense, along with strong sources or the ability to cultivate sources to break or advance the news
• A sharp, analytical mind able to analyze a situation and add perspective
• Attention to detail; must be meticulous and thorough when sourcing stories
• Ability to tell rich, ambitious, features through deep reporting and access that takes readers beyond the superficial storylines
• Ability to work on a number of projects at the same time, balancing mid- and long-term projects with the need to deliver stories on a regular basis
• Creative and innovative approach to story ideation and formats
• Unique and strong voice that can stand out from competitors
• Must have the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and share information
• Desire to connect with the audience by interacting with our community section and also holding Live Q&A’s, as appropriate
• Interest in internal metrics that can help educate what subscribers desire
• Minimum five years of relevant experience at a media company
• Thorough knowledge of MLB and understanding of advanced analytics
• Thorough knowledge of the journalistic process
• Interest in other journalistic platforms, including podcasting, a plus
• This position is based in St. Louis
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.