Product Marketing Manager
San Francisco, CA
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has more than 575 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content.
About the Role
As a Product Marketing Manager at The Athletic, you’ll work to drive subscriber growth by both optimizing the new visitor experience and developing an ongoing engagement strategy. You’ll work closely with product managers, lifecycle marketers, engineers, designers, and data scientists to increase conversion from both paid and organic sources, making sure that new visitors to our website and mobile app become highly engaged subscribers. The ideal candidate is data-driven and consumer-savvy, has a strong understanding of subscription-based models, and has experience in growing, engaging, and retaining subscribers for mobile apps.
- Analyze funnel performance to determine key opportunities across different channels, platforms, and markets
- Develop in-depth understanding of audience segments and how best to engage them
- Own and drive experimentation strategy to increase subscription conversion rate and subscriber engagement
- Work cross-functionally with leaders on product, CRM, engineering, design and analytics to launch and monitor new experiments, then implement and optimize winning variants
- Generate buy-in and excitement for roadmap and ensure all stakeholders have a clear understanding of what’s happening and why
- Product marketing or product management experience with a specific orientation around growth and B2C
- Successful track record of running experiments big and small on web, mobile and within specific marketing channels
- Ability to use data to prioritize and communicate decisions
- Quantitative mindset but also comfortable with positioning, messaging and brand
- Understanding of the subscription revenue model in the digital media space
- Role will be based in San Francisco headquarters
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.