Android Engineer - Subscriber Experience (Remote)
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 500 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.
About the Role
Our Core team will work directly with our newsroom to ensure we’re delivering the best possible product across all the ways our users consume our content: articles, podcasts, video, short-form content, and more. The mission of this team will be to enhance our core product platform to surprise and delight our users.
Our ideal candidate will be excited to take over ownership of what we’ve already built on Android and be responsible for leading development on the app going forward. Our entire engineering team is very involved in making product decisions, and you'd be trusted and encouraged to try out your own ideas and features.
You can check out our current Android app here.
- Work with Design and Product teams to build an application UI that is beautiful, performant, and well-engineered
- Architect and build the app to optimize for performance, growth, scalability, ease of future development, and code quality
- Write unit and functional tests to ensure maximum code and app quality
- Investigate, debug, and fix user-reported production issues
- Ideate and suggest product improvements and features through a symbiotic relationship with Product team
- 2+ years experience with native Android development, including Kotlin proficiency
- Consumer-facing product and design instincts with a desire to have a voice in product decisions
- Preferred experience in an early-stage startup working on growth and scale challenges
- The current team is largely based in Melbourne, but this role can be based in a 100% remote capacity within Australia.
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.