Digital Programming Associate (San Francisco)
San Francisco, CA
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has more than 575 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content.
About the Role
The Athletic is looking for a passionate, analytical individual to join our team as a Digital Programming Associate. In this role, you will be responsible for curation & distribution of original content across various channels (push, email, in-product) to drive growth and engagement. The Digital Programming Associate will be an expert on content produced by our staff of 300+ national & local journalists, have strong familiarity with various audience segments, and be expected to advise on high-level programming strategy. This role will be based in our San Francisco headquarters.
- Execute content programming strategy, including curation & distribution of articles, podcasts, and video to relevant audiences on an ongoing basis
- Drive growth & engagement by leveraging content across push, email and in-product messaging channels
- Devise strategy for multi-channel campaigns around key tentpole events throughout the sports calendar
- Derive insights and learnings from data obtained from multi-channel experimentation campaigns
- Communicate with editorial team to proactively identify high-performing content, plan programming strategy across channels, and provide meaningful feedback on content performance
- Develop copy and visual assets to help set The Athletic’s voice and tone across programming channels
- Collaborate across programming groups to align voice across all platforms
- 2-4 years experience in content programming, digital marketing, or similar (sports media preferred)
- Experience with content distribution via push, email, or in-product
- Data-driven & analytical; ability to think critically around metrics
- Strong writing skills with a keen eye for grammar, punctuation
- Understanding of subscription revenue model in the digital media space
- Passionate sports fan with familiarity of topics on The Athletic that drive reader interest
- Extensive knowledge of all major professional/collegiate sports (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Soccer + CFB and CBB). NHL expertise is a bonus.
- Must be comfortable communicating across multiple departments
- Experience developing brand voice and tone across programming channels is a plus
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2019 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.