Digital Programming Associate
San Francisco, CA
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has more than 575 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content.
About the Role
The Athletic is looking for an inquisitive, strategic sports expert to join our team as a Digital Programming Associate based in our San Francisco headquarters. In this role, you will be responsible for curation & distribution of our best-in-class original content to drive engagement and growth. The Digital Programming Associate will be an expert on content produced by our staff of 300+ national & local journalists and will advise on high-level programming strategy.
- Execute content programming strategy, including curation & distribution of articles, podcasts, and video to relevant audiences on an ongoing basis
- Drive growth & engagement by distributing content through push notifications, email blasts and in-product messaging
- Identify breaking news and work with programming and editorial teams to coordinate coverage
- Devise strategy for multi-channel campaigns around key tentpole events throughout the sports calendar
- Derive insights and learnings from data obtained from multi-channel experimentation campaigns
- Communicate with editorial team to proactively identify high-performing content, plan programming strategy across channels, and provide meaningful feedback on content performance
- Develop copy and visual assets to help set The Athletic’s voice and tone across programming channels
- Collaborate across programming groups to align voice across all platforms
- Previous experience in content programming or sports digital media preferred
- Strong writing skills with a keen eye for grammar and punctuation
- Passionate sports fan with familiarity of topics on The Athletic that drive reader interest
- Extensive knowledge of major professional/collegiate sports is a must
- Data-driven & analytical; ability to think critically around metrics
- Understanding of subscription revenue model in the digital media space
- Must be comfortable communicating across multiple departments
- Experience developing brand voice and tone across programming channels is a plus
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2019 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.