Performance Marketing Associate
United States / Canada /
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 500 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.
About the role
The Athletic is seeking a data-driven performance marketer to help scale our multi-channel paid acquisition initiatives. This role must deliver against ambitious business goals which include managing investment efficiency. In order to help you achieve your targets, you will have access to budgets for both testing and scaling. You’ll also have access to an internal team of data-driven performance marketers and designers, with additional support from data science and analytics.
Both analytical and imaginative, the ideal candidate must be able to understand performance data and derive actionable insights that will help optimize paid media strategies. We are looking for a self-starter who thrives in fast-paced environments and can roll up their sleeves to build and actually launch campaigns from various platforms. This is an entry level position, which will reward curiosity and a can do attitude.
- Learn growth marketing fundamentals from a best-in-class team.
- Support global growth marketing initiatives across multiple channels, including but not limited to: paid social (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat), search, influencer, podcasts, and TV.
- Structure A/B tests that deliver valuable insights and inform marketing strategy.
- Utilize data in order to optimize and achieve customer acquisition, conversion, and LTV targets.
- Gain exposure to teams across the organization including: creative design/data science/marketing analytics/product/engineering.
- 1-2 years of foundational professional experience in a digital marketing or data-focused field.
- At least 1 year of experience in B2C marketing with at least one performance focused digital channel.
- The ideal candidate should possess a natural curiosity to learn how things work, and a desire to uncover how they can be improved.
- Extremely analytical with strong communication skills. You can efficiently analyze large data sets and skillfully distill results into a narrative that helps inform strategy.
- Passionate about the product. You don’t need to be a power user, but applicants should at least understand how to effectively communicate with our target audience.
- Understanding of the subscription revenue model in the digital media space.
- Advanced excel skills, SQL a plus.
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.