Android Engineer (Remote)
United States /
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About the Role
We’re looking for an experienced engineer who can build beautiful, polished user experiences and architect elegant, maintainable code. Successful candidates keep up-to-date with best practices and prioritize code quality. Our entire engineering team is very involved in making product decisions, and you'd be trusted and encouraged to try out your own ideas and features.
You can check out our current Android app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theathletic
- Work with Design and Product teams to build UI that is beautiful, performant, and well-engineered.
- Build the app to optimize for performance, growth, scalability, ease of future development, and code quality.
- Write unit and functional tests to ensure maximum code and app quality
- Investigate, debug, and fix user-reported production issues.
- Brainstorm new product ideas and improvements alongside the design and product teams.
- Refactor existing code where needed in order to improve quality of life for the other engineers.
- Work within a highly cross-functional team, iterating on process and making your own suggestions for improvements.
- 2+ years experience with native Android development in Kotlin.
- Preferred experience with GraphQL, Coroutines & Jetpack Compose.
- Consumer-facing product and design instincts with a desire to have a voice in product decisions.
- Preferred experience in an early-stage startup working on growth and scale challenges.
The annual base salary range for this role is $120,000.00 - $150,000.00 USD. The total compensation offered for this position may vary based on factors such as education, experience, skills, and location. It may also include non-cash rewards and benefits. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The Athletic offers unique perks and benefits to all full-time employees based on their country of residence. Our comprehensive US benefits package includes:
- Highly competitive, employer-contributed medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance plans.
- Savings accounts for medical, wellness, and childcare expenses.
- 401k retirement savings plan and employer match.
- Paid time off including paid sick leave, 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days of accrued paid time off, and up to 20 weeks of Paid Parental Leave.
For international candidates: Our global benefits packages offer similar benefits and perks, competitive to the local market.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Click here to review our Applicant Privacy Notice, which describes how and when The Athletic Media Company collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of job applicants and prospective employees.