Staff Editor, NHL
United States / Canada /
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 500 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.
About the Role
The Athletic NHL is hiring a staff editor. The candidate will be involved in all the day-to-day operations, including collaborating with writers, planning, editing and publishing of content.
• Generate thoughtful, smart and relevant story ideas
• Work closely with writers to develop and execute high-quality stories, features and analysis, as well as collaborate with our news team on breaking stories
• Line edit stories from start to finish for quality, context, style and grammar
• Follow best practices on headline writing and SEO optimization
• Constructively collaborate across the NHL vertical, taking on tasks and projects of varying scope
• Choose photos, write headlines, and package stories in a way that would appeal to an audience seeking differentiated content
• Ability to work nights and weekends, as required
• At least 2 years experience editing on digital platforms
• Deep knowledge of and a passion for the NHL
• Knowledge of WordPress and photo editing skills is a plus
• This job is located in the US or Canada
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.