Staff Editor, News
United States / Canada /
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 500 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.
About the Role
The Athletic is seeking a Staff Editor, News. The ideal candidate has experience being part of a high-end news and/or breaking news operation and has boundless energy for producing compelling content on tight deadlines. The Staff Editor will be expert at building relationships and working collaboratively in a high-paced and pressurized environment.
- Editing, producing and publishing stories via a dedicated publishing process, including writing headlines and selecting photos
- Promotion and curation of those stories
- Collaboration with staff on news content development
- Setting goals for staff
- Understanding SEO and best practices
- Use real-time metrics to assess performance and adjust appropriately
- Collaboration with national sport verticals and all local markets
- Collaboration with HQ on product development, user experience, and business/marketing initiatives
- 2-5 years of experience in digital sports journalism
- News or breaking news background, and/or exceptional sports journalism experience
- High-end knowledge of major professional, international and collegiate sports
- Role will be based in the United States or Canada
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.