Data Analyst - Data Integrity / Analytical Engineering
United States /
Product Development /
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 500 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.
About the Role
Our subscription business has grown rapidly over the past few years, driven by our investment in high quality content and an enthusiastic user base. We are looking for an entrepreneurial analyst to engineer our dataset and build tools to guard our data integrity. You will be part of the Data Analytics team and collaborate heavily with the Data Engineering team. This is a newly-created, small, fast-moving team at the company. The metrics and data work at The Athletic is critical for our rapid growth and agile learning culture. You will work with full-stack engineers, data engineers, analysts, and product managers across multiple teams to create cross-system data integrity and quality checks. In this role, you will also work closely with our analytics team to design and implement complex data tables to enable data democracy across the product and technology team. You will also build and own data governance and catalog effort.
- Build tools to monitor data quality, security, and query performance that have an impact across the data team.
- Design, build, and maintain critical data models, transformation pipelines, tables and dashboards to ensure highly accurate and reliable business reporting.
- Help develop strategy/solutions for data discovery and metrics management.
- Build and maintain data catalog.
- Build and document a common data framework so that critical data is accessible to analysts and data scientists and throughout the company.
- Advocate for improvements to data quality, security, and performance.
- Design internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale data infrastructure.
- Coach analysts on software engineering best practices (e.g., using version control, writing performant SQL, how to communicate data issues).
- Collaborate with data engineers on infrastructure and major ELT pipeline projects.
- 3+ years experience in a data analytics, data science, or data engineering role.
- An “end-to-end” data analyst who believes in owning the whole stack from data cleaning to dashboard to stakeholder communication.
- Proficient in writing analytical SQL and you understand the difference between SQL that works, and performant SQL.
- Experience working with DBT, python, EC2 cluster or any other ELT process tools.
- A solid understanding of data warehouses and business intelligence tools.
- Clear and direct communication skills about complex technical topics.
- Passion for building the best version of whatever you’re working on.
- A track record of working autonomously, with strong organizational and time management skills.
- A desire to continually keep up with advancements in data (engineering, analytics, science) team practices.
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.