Software Engineer, Product
Engineering – Product Engineering /
Hi, we're The Browser Company 👋 and we're building a better way to use the internet.
Browsers are unique in that they are one of the only pieces of software that you share with your parents as well as your kids. Which makes sense, they're our doorway to the most important things — through them we socialize with loved ones, work on our passion projects, and explore our curiosities. But on their own, they don’t actually do a whole lot, they’re kind of just there. They don’t help us organize our messy lives or make it easier to compose our ideas. We believe that the browser could do so much more — it can empower and support the amazing things we do on the internet. That’s why we’re building one: a browser that can help us grow, create, and stay curious.
To accomplish this lofty task, we’re building a diverse team of people from different backgrounds and experiences. This isn’t optional, it’s crucial to our mission, as we need a wide range of perspectives to challenge our assumptions and shape our browser through a bold, creative lens.
With that in mind, we especially encourage women, people of color, and others from historically marginalized groups to apply.
Building a web browser is an extraordinary technical and product undertaking. As a Product Engineer on our team, you will solve unique architectural and systems challenges. You'll design sleek and thoughtful solutions to complex problems. And, you'll contribute to the world's next most influential piece of software.
We're looking for a Product Engineer with extensive experience in application development. In this role, you'll work closely with our Design and Hospitality teams to make product architecture decisions and implement core browser features.
Overall you will...
- Work with our design and hospitality teams to decide product experiments and adjustments to the browser
- Pair-program with designers to prototype and explore new and interesting interaction models
- Implement custom native user interfaces in Swift
- Optimize UI and application code for performance, quality, and maintainability
- Scope, architect, and implement large product initiatives including UI, logic, networking, and persistence components
Within 1 month you will...
- Get onboarded onto the team and codebase with an onboarding buddy
- Receive a number of onboarding presentation on how we give each other feedback, the phases a startup goes through, our technical strategy, and more
- Get familiar with Swift, The Composable Architecture, and our development environment
- Have shipped a few bug fixes and features across our codebase
- Have pair programmed with a large portion of the engineering team
Within 3 months you will...
- Have worked on 5+ projects across the codebase, each with a different set of engineers and designers
- Be the point of contact for bugs and product iterations of a few product surface areas
- Be involved in product discussions about certain product surface areas
- Be involved in weekly engineering discussions about our architecture, how we do code review, code style, and more
- Be regularly posting feedback about using the browser in our #dogfooding channel
Within 6 months you will...
- Be interview trained and interviewing candidates for roles at the Browser Company
- Be familiar with some C++ and how we interact with the underlying browser engine
- Be adjusting our terraform config to deploy new infrastructure or update our build pipelines
- Be leading projects from conception to production launch
- Be mentoring and pair programming with newer engineers to help them get spun up on the codebase
- You have experience with product development on iOS/macOS, preferably in Swift
- You have experience tech leading critical projects or initiatives within your team and organization
- You've worked on large, complex codebases
- You're product minded and user driven
- You're pragmatic and can see the bigger picture; you're able to reason about prioritization and scope
- You have a bias for action and are fast at implementing new features and systems
- You're excited to work in a startup environment with daily stand-ups and quick product validation cycles
The Browser Company is a well funded, ambitious startup of about 40 people (and growing!) who are passionate about building great products. We are a remote-first, distributed team, with the option to work in office in New York. We strongly support diversity and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.