Software Engineer, Platform
Brooklyn, New York /
Engineering – Platform /
Platform Engineering @ The Browser Company
Browsers contain everything we find inspiring, enjoyable, and useful online –– but on their own, they don't really do much. They don't help us find what we're looking for or make it easier to compose our thoughts. They don't allow us to move information around or guide us toward organization. They don't improve our ability to focus or encourage us to keep goals top of mind. We believe that the browser could do so much more to empower and support the amazing things we do on the internet. That's why we're building one: a browser that helps us grow, create, and keep curious.
In service of this goal, we strive to build a diverse team of people with different backgrounds and experiences. This is crucial to our mission, as we need a wide range of perspectives to challenge our assumptions and shape our browser with a curious, creative lens.
We especially encourage women, people of color, and others from historically marginalized groups to apply.
Platform engineers build the infrastructure on which our browser runs. As a platform engineer, you'll architect and build services that answer questions like:
- How do we build performant browsers on every platform that integrate deeply with the OS and look and feel like native?
- How do we convert Chromium into an SDK that allows to iterate quickly and easily explore and extend what a browser can do, without creating a maintenance burden?
- How do we enable Google Docs-style real-time collaboration for any website on the internet?
- How do we sync files, notes, tabs, and browsing sessions seamlessly and securely so that no matter which device you're on, all your stuff is always instantly there and accessible offline?
- How do we architect our systems such that security, privacy, and encryption are built-in and require no extra effort to integrate into features?
- How do we do this all while maintaining a code base and development environment that is a joy to use, intuitive to extend, and accessible to everyone?
- Scope and lead technical projects across server, client, browser, and OS layers
- Design APIs that abstract away complexity and allow product engineers to use those abstractions to quickly iterate, collaborating closely with product engineers in the process
- Ensure product development is progressing by finding and fixing inefficiencies in the appropriate layer of the system
- Effectively help the team invest in observability, tooling, stability, and performance alongside building new systems
The Browser Company is a well funded, ambitious startup of about 20 people (and growing!) who are passionate about building great products. We are a remote-first, distributed team, with the option to work in office in New York. We strongly support diversity and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.