Tech Lead Manager
Engineering – Product Engineering /
Browsers are unique in that they are one of the only pieces of software that you share with your parents as well as your kids. Which makes sense, they're our doorway to the most important things — through them we socialize with loved ones, work on our passion projects, and explore our curiosities. But on their own, they don’t actually do a whole lot, they’re kind of just there. They don’t help us organize our messy lives or make it easier to compose our ideas. We believe that the browser could do so much more — it can empower and support the amazing the things we do on the internet. That’s why we’re building one: a browser that can help us grow, create, and stay curious.
To accomplish this lofty task, we’re building a diverse team of people from different backgrounds and experiences. This isn’t optional, it’s crucial to our mission, as we need a wide range of perspectives to challenge our assumptions and shape our browser through a bold, creative lens.
With that in mind, we especially encourage women, people of color, and others from historically marginalized groups to apply.
About the Role
As a Tech Lead Manager at Browser Company, you will be managing a pod of Software Engineers and working closely with our CTO and other TLMs to make product decisions, prioritize work, ship features, and promote an engineering culture of knowledge sharing and mentorship.
This is a hybrid role requiring hands-on technical expertise in building consumer facing products, as well as people management skills such as coaching and facilitating technical growth within your team. This is a great opportunity for a technical lead looking to grow into management or someone with management experience that would be excited to get back into writing code.
Overall you will...
- Manage a pod of engineers while maintaining a hands-on attitude. While it’s important to delegate work to your reports, it’s also important to be willing to jump in and solve a problem or handle a crisis.
- Conduct code reviews as a way to maintain code quality, teach, and learn
- Help scope, architect, and implement large product initiatives including UI, logic, networking, and persistence components
- Collaborate with our design and hospitality teams to decide product experiments and adjustments to the browser
- Mentor engineers on how to prototype and ship products at an rapid but sustainable pace
Within 1 month you will...
- Get onboarded onto the team and codebase with an onboarding buddy
- Receive a number of onboarding presentations on how we give each other feedback, the phases a startup goes through, our technical strategy, workplace culture, and more
- Get familiar with Swift, The Composable Architecture, and our development environment
- Have shipped a few bug fixes and features across our codebase
- Have pair programmed with a large portion of the engineering team
- Get familiar with how we prototype, validate product ideas, then productionize features before shipping them
- Get familiar with our pace and the cadence at which we ship
Within 3 months you will...
- Have worked on 5+ projects across the codebase, each with a different set of engineers and designers
- Be the point of contact for bugs and product iterations of a few product surface areas
- Be involved in product discussions about certain product surface areas
- Be involved in weekly engineering discussions about our architecture, how we do code review, code style, and more
- Be regularly posting feedback about using the browser in our #dogfooding channel
- Be interview trained and interviewing candidates for roles at the Browser Company
- Be mentoring and pair programming with newer engineers to help them get spun up on the codebase
Within 6 months you will...
- Be leading execution within a product area, ensuring design and engineering are in sync and shipping at a good pace
- Be mentoring engineers on your team and across the org on what rapid and efficient execution looks like
- Be giving feedback to engineers and designers in your team on how they can improve their code quality, prototyping cadence, and time to ship
- Be interacting with other team leads across engineering, design, and hospitality to ensure your pod is working on the right features
- You have a strong ability to coach and mentor engineers, helping them improve their skills and grow their careers
- You have expertise in tech leading critical projects and initiatives within your team and organization and know how to drive execution and set a pace
- You have experience with product development on iOS/macOS, preferably in Swift
- You've worked on large, complex codebases
- You're product minded and user driven
- You're pragmatic and can see the bigger picture; you're able to reason about prioritization and scope
- You have a bias for action and are fast at implementing new features and systems
- You're excited to work in a startup environment with daily stand-ups and quick product validation cycles
The Browser Company is a well funded, ambitious startup of about 30 people (and growing!) who are passionate about building great products. We are a remote-first, distributed team, with the option to work in office in New York. We strongly support diversity and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.