Engineering Manager, Product
Engineering – Product Engineering /
Hi, we're The Browser Company 👋 and we're building a better way to use the internet.
Browsers are unique in that they are one of the only pieces of software that you share with your parents as well as your kids. Which makes sense, they're our doorway to the most important things — through them we socialize with loved ones, work on our passion projects, and explore our curiosities. But on their own, they don’t actually do a whole lot, they’re kind of just there. They don’t help us organize our messy lives or make it easier to compose our ideas. We believe that the browser could do so much more — it can empower and support the amazing things we do on the internet. That’s why we’re building one: a browser that can help us grow, create, and stay curious.
To accomplish this lofty task, we’re building a diverse team of people from different backgrounds and experiences. This isn’t optional, it’s crucial to our mission, as we need a wide range of perspectives to question our assumptions and shape our browser through a bold, creative lens.
With that in mind, we especially encourage women, people of color, and others from historically marginalized groups to apply.
About the Role
As an Engineering Manager at The Browser Company, you will be managing a highly driven and creative team of Software Engineers. Building a web browser is an extraordinary technical and product undertaking. Managers at Browser Company are hands-on leaders who build high performing and psychologically-safe teams with a diversity of people.
You’ll work closely with your team to make product decisions, prioritize work, ship features, and promote an engineering culture of knowledge sharing and mentorship. You’ll lead work streams across several projects while also jumping in to help solve problems or handle incidents. Managers at the Browser Co. start out onboarding as an IC engineer and progressively take on more management responsibility as they ramp up.
Overall you will...
- After initial onboarding, manage a team of 6-8 engineers, ensuring their growth and development, and team health.
- Promote an engineering culture of knowledge sharing and collaboration.
- Partner with design and product leaders to make decisions around product and technical strategy.
- Work with your team to define technical strategy and ship features while being ultimately responsible for execution.
- Build and lead a team of engineers finding creative ways to be impactful towards broader company goals.
- Contribute to the broader engineering organization in terms of creating processes, recruiting, and onboarding.
Within 1 month you will...
- Go through IC engineering onboarding - get to know the team and codebase with an onboarding buddy
- Work side-by-side with other engineers on the team, fixing bugs and ship code improvements to production
- Receive a number of onboarding presentations on how we give each other feedback, the phases a startup goes through, our technical strategy, workplace culture, and more
- Get familiar with Chromium, Swift, The Composable Architecture, and our development environment
- Get familiar with our tooling, data pipelines and understanding the current state of performance and reliability.
- Ship features to production with the guidance of other engineers
- Get familiar with the pace and cadence at which we ship
Within 3 months you will...
- Have engineers on the team reporting directly to you.
- Be the point of contact for a work stream or initiative.
- Be involved in weekly engineering discussions about our architecture, how we do code review, code style, and more
- Be regularly posting feedback about using Arc in our #dogfooding channel
- Be mentoring and pair programming with newer engineers to help them get spun up on the codebase
Within 6 months you will...
- Be leading execution for your team, ensuring the teams is in sync and shipping at a good pace
- Be interview trained and interviewing candidates for roles at the Browser Company
- Have collaborated with individuals on your team to make growth plans and goals.
- Be mentoring engineers on your team and across the org on what rapid and efficient execution looks like
- Be giving feedback to engineers and designers in your team on how they can improve their code quality, prototyping cadence, and time to ship
- You have a strong track record of coaching and mentoring senior engineers, helping them improve their skills and grow their careers
- You have expertise in tech leading critical projects and initiatives within your team and organization and know how to drive execution and set a pace
- You have expertise in executing on critical projects, owning large, complex codebases and driving initiatives within your team
- You're product-minded and user-driven and have experience working on consumer software (bonus if you have experience with Swift or mobile development)
- You’re pragmatic, motivated by nebulous problems, and excited to work in a startup environment with quick product validation cycles
- You resonate with our company values and can continue to grow and scale your team with these in mind
Compensation and Benefits
With our flexible compensation model, employees have the ability to design their compensation according to their needs. People join startups for different reasons and we want to be accommodating and flexible to everyone’s lives. Every candidate approved for an offer receives two options:
✉️ The first offer is a lower salary with a higher equity package
✉️ The second is a higher salary with a lower equity package.
Candidates can choose either option or anywhere in between the two on a sliding scale. The annual salary range for this role is $180,000-$320,000 USD, and the actual salary range offered will vary based on experience level and interview performance.
In addition to a competitive salary and equity package, we provide every employee with:
- comprehensive benefits package, with employee medical, dental, and vision premiums covered at 100%
- 401k plan
- flexible vacation policy, with a recommended minimum of 20 days off (no maximum!)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- $1,500 USD home office stipend
- Employees based in the US also receive free annual memberships to One Medical, Talkspace, Teladoc, and HealthAdvocate
The Browser Company is a well funded, ambitious startup of about 60 people (and growing!) who are passionate about building great products. We are a remote-first, distributed team, with the option to work in office in New York. We strongly support diversity and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.