Director of Communications
FLEX™ has an incredible story to tell. Our customers describe our products as “life-changing.” Our founder turned her personal health challenges into a thriving challenger brand. And our mission has sparked a unique company culture and sent a ripple effect through the period industry. We’re looking for someone who can pitch that story to the media and influencers better than anyone else—and who can convince them to pass it on.
Four years ago we launched the most innovative period product since the tampon: the menstrual disc. It had been nearly 80 years since the tampon was introduced, and our new product was quickly embraced by consumers everywhere. Since that time we’ve rapidly grown our business. Flex started as a digitally native brand with one product, and quickly grew to a family of period products sold in top national retailers including Target, CVS, and Walgreens.
The combination of stellar product-market fit, our hybrid DTC and retail model, and our team’s obsession with educating and supporting our customers has delivered hockey stick growth in record time.
Now we are looking for a Director of Communications to refine and amplify our brand story, and to come up with a communications strategy that will make our products and company household names. This role reports to the Head of Brand and is based at our headquarters in Venice, CA.
The ideal candidate has 7+ years of experience in communications in a high-growth environment and has driven a nationally recognized brand. They have spent a few years as an individual contributor, but have also managed a small team and an external agency. They have a deep understanding of communications, working cross-functionally as a strong partner to our brand, content marketing, product, creative, sales, and analytics teams.
- Refine and lead the execution of our external communications strategy for prospects, customers, retail partners, influencers, prospective investors, and the media. Push to constantly stretch and align our comms strategy with our mission, vision, and values.
- Manage our PR agency to secure press placements that drive awareness, affinity, purchase, and loyalty among target audiences.
- Develop metrics, tracking, and recurring reporting to demonstrate your impact and our increasing footprint in the period health category.
- Pitch our company and CEO for external awards and recognition.
- Pitch our CEO for media interviews, conferences, podcasts, and event appearances.
- Ghost-write and secure bylines in tier 1 press for our leadership team.
- Coach our Leadership Team on speaking and presenting -- live, on video, and via audio.
- Aid the partnerships team with securing intros to brand ambassadors and influencers.
- Own the development of periodic industry insights/research series and a promotional plan to build anticipation and buzz around it.
- Develop an annual impact/sustainability report.
- Develop a process for escalating and sharing internal guidance and announcements with our team.
- Own crisis communications. Coach our CX team to deal with any sticky situations that arise.
- You are deeply empathetic to the needs of our customers.
- You are collaborative, humble, proactive, creative, and naturally curious.
- You have the leadership skills to inspire and lead a high-performing HAPPY team to do the best work of their careers.
- You choose love over fear. You make sound decisions from a belief in yourself, others, or opportunities rather than out of fear.
- You optimize for trust. You have a track record of taking accountability for mistakes rather than blaming others. You communicate needs, concerns, and feedback directly with colleagues.
- You have a growth mindset. You take constructive feedback well and actively seek feedback from colleagues. You are self-motivated to generate your best work and make a greater impact everyday.
- You are comfortable being your authentic self at work (including in the interview!).
- 7+ years of experience in a communications role, with 3+ years managing others.
- Experience managing an external PR firm that delivers against the measurable performance targets you have set.
- Experience coaching executives on speaking and presenting.
- You have worked in a growth company and have been an intrinsic part of the early communications strategy.
- Strong manager and people leader with a track record of developing people.
- Stellar communicator. Strong presentation and teaching skills.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Experience with both retail and DTC models a plus.
- Experience in the health, wellness, lifestyle, fashion, or CPG industries a plus.
In 1 Month You Will
- Demonstrate strong understanding of company mission, vision, and values.
- Have a strong understanding of brand direction and your core responsibilities.
- Begin managing our relationship with the newly engaged PR firm.
- Create a communications strategy.
- Develop earned content opportunities that reflect our brand’s voice and move the needle on brand awareness.
- Set up a system to measure the performance of our communications efforts.
- Collaborate with the retail sales and performance marketing teams to drive foot traffic in stores, acquisitions online, and subscriber retention.
In 3 Months You Will
- Have strong point of view of company’s future communications strategy.
- Be able to work independently as well as collaborate within a team environment.
- Set up workflows and processes to work with cross-functional teams.
- Build strong relationships with key company stakeholders, frequently updating them on your progress.
- Secure tier 1 press hits.
- Produce error-free content that adheres to the company’s brand guidelines.
- Support all launches - including new products, retailers, and markets - leading and working collaboratively with internal and external teams.
In 6 Months You Will
- Partner with our founder to devise and execute a thought leadership platform that promotes Flex and its purpose.
- Secure third-party speaking opportunities that can be used a a platform for your thought leadership strategy.
- Demonstrate a high level of creativity in all work produced and delivered.
- Be seen as a creative leader within The Flex Company that your team and others can rely on at all times.
Our Shared Values
- Choose Love Over Fear: You make sound decisions from a belief in yourself, others, or opportunities rather than out of fear.
- Optimize For Trust: You have a track record of taking accountability for mistakes rather than blaming others. You communicate needs, concerns, and feedback directly with colleagues.
- Have a Growth Mindset: You take constructive feedback well and actively seek feedback from colleagues. You are self-motivated to generate your best work and make a greater impact everyday.
- Be You: You are comfortable being your authentic self at work (including in the interview!).
About The Flex Company
The Flex Company creates innovative period products that are better for our health and the environment. The Flex Company is known for its patented products FLEX™ Disc, FLEX Cup™, Softdisc® and Softcup®, which are sold online and in major retailers throughout the United States.
Based in Venice, California, The Flex Company is the sole manufacturer of its products, which are designed and produced in United States and Canada.
Led by founder & CEO Lauren Schulte Wang, our team is working to create life-changing experiences through the products we make and conversations we spark. Learn more at flexfits.com.