Senior Account Manager
Los Angeles, CA / Remote /
We’re looking for a Senior Account Manager who is excited to accelerate growth for The Flex Company’s retail business across our portfolio of brands, Flex and Soft.
The ideal candidate has 3-5 years of national brand experience in the CPG space and is excited to apply their expertise to a fast-growing, omnichannel company. You'll work directly with our merchant and broker partners to deliver day-to-day account management for your key retail customers, delivering best in class customer support and thought leadership. You’re responsible for growing a healthy base business and will create and execute on strategic promotional strategies towards our awareness, trial, sales and penetration goals.
Reporting to the VP of Sales, this is a critical role that will support profitable growth for our retail channel. Our teammates are adaptable self-starters and thrive working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment with talented people.
- You have hands-on CPG retail sales experience and a thorough understanding of how retail, direct-to-consumer, and Amazon work together as part of an omnichannel business model
- You understand the retail sales cycle and can anticipate internal and customer needs at each step of the sell-in process
- You are proactive and solution-oriented in building trust and long-term partnerships with retailers
- You influence decision-making to reach mutually beneficial outcomes
- You're deeply curious about our consumers and are motivated to find meaningful ways to connect with them through the retail channel
- You collaborate with internal teams (e.g. operations, marketing, finance, supply chain) and external partners to work through competing channel priorities to get things done
- You are inquisitive and resourceful in problem-solving, but also don’t hesitate to ask for help when you need it
- 3-5 years experience in a retail sales or buying role, specifically within the CPG space
- Experience supporting a US-based national retail business across multiple channels including Drug, Mass, Grocery, and Specialty
- Strong analytical and financial acumen and comfortable analyzing sales results, making projections, and reporting to leadership
- Managed a portfolio of >$5M in annual revenue with a demonstrated ability to successfully deliver profitable year-on-year revenue growth
- Have directly owned retail financial plans and are comfortable forecasting dollar and unit sales with a bottoms up and tops down approach
- Proficiency navigating across various retail customer portals (e.g., Target POL/CNA, Walgreens Supplier Net, Kroger Supplier Hub)
- Expertise in customer onboarding and new item set-up process including manual submissions and centralized online databases (e.g., 1WorldSync, Label Insight)
- Expertise in drawing insights from syndicated data sources (ie Nielsen, IRI, SPINS)
- Strong written, verbal, presentation, and project management skills
Nice to Haves
- Direct category experience in women’s health / feminine care / sanitary protection / fem hygiene / personal care
- Direct experience working with Target, CVS, Walmart, Walgreens, Albertsons/Safeway, Kroger, and UNFI/Supervalu
- Have independently negotiated mutually beneficial broker and retailer agreements
- Have successfully implemented wholesale cost increases driven by COGS changes
- Experience working with international retailers in CAN and UK, specifically Shoppers Drug Mart, Loblaws, Boots, Superdrug, Tesco
- Experience working in a fast-paced, high growth start-up
Our shared values:
- Choose Love Over Fear: You make sound decisions from a belief in yourself, others, or opportunities rather than out of fear.
- Optimize For Trust: You have a track record of taking accountability for mistakes rather than blaming others. You communicate needs, concerns, and feedback directly with colleagues.
- Have a Growth Mindset: You take constructive feedback well and actively seek feedback from colleagues. You are self-motivated to generate your best work and make a greater impact everyday
- Be You: You are comfortable being your authentic self at work (including in the interview!)
In 1 month you will:
- Meet our team and deeply understand our mission, vision & values
- Get to know our retail business, performing a deep dive into current retail partnerships and the women’s health category
- Understand & seamlessly navigate relationships across the sales ecosystem including brokers, merchants, and operational partners
- Manage day-to-day retail operations for your key accounts, acting as key point of contact
- Support line reviews by preparing presentation decks, analyzing sales performance, and compiling compelling new product sell sheets
- Own item submissions process for key customers, partnering with product development, marketing, and operations for relevant inputs
In 3 months you will:
- Own the sales and operations planning process for key customers, building out a well-informed forecast based on sales data, promotional plans, and retailer insights
- Forecast ROI and analyze results for all promotional activities, recommending strategic changes based on rolling brand & item level performance
- Inform and help coordinate launch plans for new distribution and/or product launches, sharing relevant information with internal stakeholders
- Independently lead 1:1 interactions with broker partners and retail merchant teams
- Increase sales productivity ($ and units) for your accounts by monitoring store level execution, pricing, healthy inventory levels, and merchandising
- Map out a comprehensive plan to deliver year-on-year growth for key accounts
- Secure meaningful growth opportunities for FLEX & Softdisc across your key accounts
In 6 months you will:
- Collaborate with retail and broker partners to build joint business plans for 2023
- Identify opportunities to streamline processes, scale retail sales efforts, and elevate our strategic position in the marketplace
- Represent The Flex Co at relevant trade events and seek out meaningful interactions with our merchant partners
- Establish a clear POV on how to grow Flex and Soft at retail via competitive pricing/positioning, strategic marketing efforts and new product introductions
- Uncover new opportunities to demonstrate thought leadership and insert The Flex Co as a strategic partner to grow the total category for retail partners
- Collaborate with VP of Sales to build a 3-year growth strategy for current customers, with a plan to grow market share across relevant channels
About The Flex Company
The Flex Company was founded on the belief that people deserve innovative, sustainable, life-changing period products. After years of disappointment and discomfort trying dozens of products, Lauren Schulte Wang founded Flex to create body-safe, medical grade alternatives that outperform traditional period products. Flex Disc and Flex Cup generate 60% less waste and have the capacity of up to three super tampons, all while maintaining the highest level of comfort through inventive engineering and rigorous testing.
Flex is sold at over 25,000 stores across the US and is the #1 alternative period product brand based on units sold. Committed to making its life-changing products accessible to as many people possible, Flex is available at Target, CVS, and Walgreens, and at flexfits.com.
Flex is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, age, and other protected categories. From our hiring practices to the design of our flagship products, we believe equity and diversity is critical to the ideas, talent, and processes that help us create the most positive impact for our customers and for each other. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply to be a team member at The Flex Company.
We pay competitive salaries, equity, & benefits including (but not limited to) medical, dental and vision health insurance, paid parental leave, cell phone reimbursement, and $1,000 annual wellness and learning credit.