Product Development (CPG) Manager
Venice, CA / New York, NY /
Product & Supply Chain /
The Product Development Manager will be responsible for taking products from concept to shelf. This is a high visibility and high impact role at a fast growing company. This person will have the leadership and tenacity to drive forward projects and products, while having a team-first orientation that makes them a pleasure to work with.
Our recruiting process:
- Cover letter and CV review - applications with thoughtful cover letters are given priority.
- Phone screen (45 min) - (we share salary/comp range with you up front. This is not based on current salary, and we do not ask for that)
- Hiring manager interview (45 min)
- Panel interview with 2-3 cross functional colleagues (60-90 min)
- Should there be a take home case study, we pay a market hourly rate for the anticipated time required to complete the assignment
- CEO Interview - (30-45 min)
- Decision/Offer, conditional upon reference and background checks
The entire process can take as little as 1.5 to 2 weeks for the most qualified candidates. We give offer decisions within 48 working hrs of CEO interview. The average candidate can expect the process to typically take 2-4 weeks from date of phone screen, subject to candidate and team availability.
Expected Business Outcomes
- Lead the development of 3 to 5 products / SKUs for finalization/presentation by Q2 2022
- Success will require shelf-ready products that uphold our brand guidelines, meet margin requirements, and are delivered on time delivery for our customers and partners
- Lead product line expansion after Q2 2022 with similar success metrics
- Achieve product assortment goals of the customer while ensuring product quality and testing standards as well as margin expectations are met.
- Lead development of personal care products, including medical devices, cosmetics and custom formulations.
- Work closely with Consumer Insights and Retail Teams to understand directive for customer projects, analyze existing item sales and review new product forecasts.
- Continually improve the standardized NPD methods to reduce cycle time, resulting in the reduction of unnecessary costs and improving market responsiveness.
- Direct and perform product performance testing on existing and new products.
- Create and maintain strong relationships with factory partners to ensure successful execution of product development process.
- Work closely with Supply Chain to asses existing supplier network, identify new supplier opportunities and on board new suppliers as needed.
- Work closely with R&D and Sales & Marketing to ensure product conception and messaging satisfies Flex’s brand promise.
- Lead product development meetings, keeping internal team informed on product development and product/program opportunities.
- Additional duties as necessary.
- Meticulous attention to detail and time management skills with the ability to follow projects at every stage through to completion.
- Ability to influence at all levels of an organization internally and externally and present what’s at stake when challenges arise
- Superior customer service with excellent phone, email and writing etiquette.
- Ability to adapt and manage effectively in a fast paced and continuously changing environment.
- A positive and professional attitude with a team player outlook and an outgoing, friendly, and approachable personality.
- The ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment, think critically, manage multiple priorities and adhere to strict deadlines.
- 3-5 years in a comparable role (MUST have led entire product development process of multiple products, ideally in related consumer/medical industry)
- Comfortable leading outside vendors and cross-functionally with other teammates
- Experience and expertise in new product development, product road mapping, and product cost and pricing.
- Skilled in strategic planning and communicating a strategic vision.
- Strong process management skills
Useful, but not required:
- MAC proficiency, Sharefile, Netsuite and Smartsheets exposure helpful.
- Intermediate understanding of Adobe Illustrator is a plus.
- Gantt chart software experience is a plus.
In 1, 3, and 6 months you will:
- In 1 month you will:
- Build relationships with your team and cross-functionally.
- Develop a deep understanding of our brands, products, customers, and our omnichannel strategy
- Understand our product development process and gotten a couple of “quick wins” under your belt
- In 3 months you will:
- Own the product development process for 1-2 products
- Support and transition ownership of PD process for 1-2 additional products
- Be a trusted member of the PD team and relied upon by teammates as a highly accountable and trust-worthy teammate
- In 6 months you will:
- Have meaningfully contributed to the successful, on time, within margin goal delivery of multiple products
- Become an expert and evangelist for an improved product development process
- Have navigated some challenges, but have also demonstrated your ability to define the critical path despite setbacks
About The Flex Company
The Flex Company was founded on the belief that people deserve innovative, sustainable, life-changing period products. After years of disappointment and discomfort trying dozens of products, Lauren Schulte Wang founded Flex to create body-safe, medical grade alternatives that outperform traditional period products. Flex Disc and Flex Cup generate 60% less waste and have the capacity of up to three super tampons, all while maintaining the highest level of comfort through inventive engineering and rigorous testing.
Flex is sold at over 25,000 stores across the US and is the #1 alternative period product brand based on units sold. Committed to making its life-changing products accessible to as many people possible, Flex is available at Target, CVS, and Walgreens, and at flexfits.com.
Flex is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, age, and other protected categories. From our hiring practices to the design of our flagship products, we believe equity and diversity is critical to the ideas, talent, and processes that help us create the most positive impact for our customers and for each other. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply to be a team member at The Flex Company.
We pay competitive salaries, equity, & benefits including (but not limited to) medical, dental and vision health insurance, paid parental leave, cell phone reimbursement, and $1,000 annual wellness and learning credit.