Director of Brand Marketing
90291, Los Angeles, CA /
The Flex Company was founded on the belief that people deserve innovative and sustainable period products. Our mission is to create industry-defining products and services that set a new global standard for period health. Four years ago we launched the most innovative period product since the tampon: the menstrual disc. It had been nearly 80 years since the tampon was introduced, and our new product was quickly embraced by consumers everywhere. Flex started as a digitally native brand with one product, and quickly grew to a family of period products sold online and in top national retailers such as Target, CVS, and Walgreens.
The Flex Disc™and Flex Cup™ generate 60% less waste than tampons and pads and can be worn for up to 12 hours, all while maintaining the highest level of comfort through inventive engineering and rigorous testing.
We’re looking for an experienced Director of Product Marketing/Brand Marketing who is equal parts right and left brain. (S)he must be comfortable collecting, sifting through, analyzing, and synthesizing large data sets. (S)he must also craft the perfect messaging to articulate our value proposition, products, features, differentiators, use cases, and benefits crisply and consistently. (S)he will be deeply grounded in audience insights through partnership with the analytics and sales teams, and by driving original research to better understand the needs of customers. (S)he must live and breathe user testing, buyer personas, and best practices in ecommerce websites. (S)he will build programs and campaigns to boost acquisition and retention, and will develop all materials needed to enable our retail sales team.
The ideal candidate has 7+ years of experience in product or brand marketing at a high-growth consumer tech company and/or has led customer insights and go-to-market messaging for a beloved CPG brand. (S)he is a strong individual contributor and cross-functional partner, but may also have ambitions of building out a team as the company grows.
This role reports to the VP Brand Marketing. Due to Covid-19, this role will work remotely for the remainder of 2020. Long-term, it will be based at our headquarters in Venice, CA or a satellite office in Oakland, CA.
- Define and manage comprehensive product launch planning including development of our value proposition, product positioning, launch strategy.
- Identify and harness key consumer insights and compelling stories that drive awareness, acquisition, and retention.
- Map out the buyer’s journey and customer acquisition funnels. Develop and align messaging for each stage.
- Collaborate with sales to translate core product value propositions, benefits, and features into sales collateral. Collaborate with internal creative partners to project manage the creation of those materials.
- Build a trusted partnership with the product/brand management team to lead product naming, positioning, and packaging, and to support their work on competitive analysis, pricing, and market sizing.
- Periodically conduct competitive analysis of messaging and brand strategy in our industry. Educate all internal stakeholders.
- Develop metrics, tracking, and recurring reporting to demonstrate impact and our increasing footprint in the period health category.
- You are collaborative, humble, proactive, creative, and naturally curious.
- You have the leadership skills to indirectly inspire a high-performing happy team to do the best work of their careers.
- You are deeply empathetic to the needs of our customers.
- You make sound decisions from a belief in yourself, others, and opportunities rather than out of fear.
- You optimize for trust. You have a track record of taking accountability for mistakes rather than blaming others. You communicate needs, concerns, and feedback directly with colleagues.
- You have a growth mindset. You take constructive feedback well and actively seek feedback from colleagues. You are self-motivated to generate your best work and make a greater impact every day.
- You are comfortable being your authentic self at work (including in the interview!).
When applying, please ensure you meet the following requirements:
- 10-15 years of work experience with 7+ years of experience leading product launches in a product marketing or brand marketing role at a high-growth consumer tech company or beloved CPG brand.
- Stellar communicator. Ability to translate product, trend, and merchandising details into unique marketing narratives.
- Strong data analysis, writing, presentation, and teaching skills.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Experience with both retail and DTC models a plus.
- Experience in the health, wellness, lifestyle, or fashion industries a plus.
- MBA or consulting experience a plus.
In 1 month you will:
- Demonstrate strong understanding of company mission, vision, and values.
- Have a strong understanding of the brand strategy and your core responsibilities.
- Begin to uncover holes in our research and data, and develop research projects to plug them.
- Develop OKRs and set up systems to measure the performance of our product marketing efforts.
- Build rapport with the brand management/product team.
- Set up workflows and processes to work with cross-functional teams.
In 3 months you will:
- Create a basic messaging framework to unblock the brand, creative, and web teams. Have a strong point of view on the company’s future positioning strategy.
- Help the retail sales and growth marketing teams to grow online and in-store purchases, and subscriber retention, through creative programs and campaigns.
- Be able to work independently as well as collaborate within a team environment.
- Build strong relationships with key company stakeholders, frequently updating them on your progress.
- Launch new website and packaging copy that ladders up to our brand and messaging frameworks.
- Begin (or manage an external firm) to uncover actionable data-driven consumer insights.
In 6 months you will:
- Be seen as a creative and analytical leader and mentor who others can rely on at all times.
- Take over the planning and coordination of all product and retail launches, leading and working collaboratively with internal and external teams.
- Put together methodologies and systems to uncover and analyze key customer and market trends.
- Build a plan to scale yourself as the company grows.
About The Flex Company
The Flex Company was founded on the belief that people deserve innovative, sustainable, life-changing period products. After years of disappointment and discomfort trying dozens of products, Lauren Schulte Wang founded Flex to create body-safe, medical grade alternatives that outperform traditional period products. The Flex Disc and Flex Cup generate 60% less waste and have the capacity of up to three super tampons, all while maintaining the highest level of comfort through inventive engineering and rigorous testing.
Flex is sold at over 25,000 stores across the US and is the #1 alternative period product brand based on units sold. Committed to making its life-changing products accessible to as many people possible, Flex is available at Target, CVS, and Walgreens, and at flexfits.com.
The Flex Company is committed to creating an inclusive employee experience for all. Regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, we firmly believe that our work is at its best when everyone feels free to be themselves.
We pay competitive salaries, equity, & benefits including (but not limited to) medical, dental and vision health insurance, paid parental leave, cell phone reimbursement, and $1,000 annual learning credit to apply to anything that helps you grow professionally.