The Penny Ice Creamery
The Penny Ice Creamery is the only ice cream shop in Santa Cruz making small batches of delicious ice cream completely from scratch in house. The flavors change with the seasons, and feature locally farmed and organic ingredients. The Penny Ice Creamery serves kids, friends, and families in Downtown Santa Cruz.
The Pastry Chef for The Penny Ice Creamery oversees the creation of amazing ice cream, frozen confections and a variety of sweets from scratch while overseeing all kitchen operations and managing kitchen staff. They collaborate with owner Kendra Baker on menu, recipe development and execution of ice cream and confections. Do you have the following skills?
Then you may be the person we are looking for. Specific duties include:
- Become a licensed Pasteurizer
- Produce fresh and delicious ice cream, sorbet, baked goods and confections (including: wide array of confections for each flavor, specials and toppings, including homemade chocolate and caramel sauces, cookies, balsamic reduction, fruit syrups, lemon curd, fruit compotes, meringue, homemade marshmallows, etc.) each day to ensure the completion of all production for The Penny.
- Maintain inventory and ordering systems to produce what's needed each day.
- Oversee ordering of all ingredients needed for production, utilizing ingredients from local farms and artisans with organic and sustainable principles.
- Maintain, improve and develop kitchen systems.
- Ongoing cost of goods analysis.
- Detailed recipe and systems documentation.
- Communicate relevant information to front of the house in an effective and friendly manner.
- Follow health, safety and sanitation guidelines with care.
- Keep kitchen areas inviting, clean, and organized.
Management of Employees
- Assist in determining labor needs and the scheduling for The Penny Kitchen.
- Ongoing labor cost analysis.
- Assist in interviewing and hiring employees and interns to execute the kitchen operations.
- Development of training systems and implementation.
- Ability to manage support staff's time effectively
- Ability to effectively lead a team while maintaining production of the inventory for The Penny Ice Creamery.
General Management Duties:
- Represent the business including: Know, understand, and be able to communicate in an approachable and accessible manner all aspects of the business; understand aesthetics and company philosophy; and maintain a professional presence.
- Support all operations including: Trouble shooting problems with customers, logistics, and infrastructure; assist with special events both within and away (conventions, etc.) from the shop.
- Systems including: refining and improving systems on an ongoing basis, developing new systems as needed. Creating and maintaining system documentation.
- Update job knowledge particularly as related to the farming community by participating in educational opportunities; reading relevant publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional events and organizations.
- Bring new ideas, initiatives, projects, suggestions, and constructive criticisms to senior management.
At The Glass Jar, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. The Glass Jar believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool
- Competitive Compensation
- Constant Opportunities for Advancement
- Medical/Dental/Vision Benefits for Full Time employees
- Company Outings & Gatherings
- Discounts at Select Local Businesses