Team Lead Software Engineer
New York, NY
We lead the leaders. Ladder’s community of 10 mm leading professionals come to us to be inspired, grow in their careers, and get ahead in their professional lives. We focus on the $100K+ job market, representing 25% of all jobs and about 50% of income in the US & Canada. We build data-driven tools, marketplaces, news and entertainment products for our growing audience, and the companies, recruiters, and advertisers that want to reach them.
We work best with people who enjoy using their talents, commitment and hard work to achieve great successes for millions of real life users through products that impact their actual lives. We are deeply technology-driven -- about half the company are engineers, technical product people or product designers -- but we never build technology for technology’s sake. We’re always trying to connect our efforts to the good it can do it people’s lives.
We are an engineering-team-driven organization. We empower our software engineers not just to build great products, but also to have a real say in ‘how’ and ‘why’ the products are being built. We practice continuous integration, test-driven development, peer code reviews, pair programming, and collaborative design studios. You will be on the cutting edge of current software development best practices and in the position to assist in the introduction of new ones.
At Ladders, the Team Lead Software Engineer has not only the technical chops to roll up his or her sleeves and provide technical leadership to major projects, but also the experience and skills needed to manage a team of engineers. The Team Lead contributes to product strategy, manages project goals, and develops an amazing team.
In this role you will:
- Write high-quality, efficient, testable code in Java, Scala, and other great languages/frameworks (RabbitMQ, Storm, ElasticSearch, Riak, React, Backbone.js, NoSQL databases).
- Collaborate with some of the best engineers in the industry.
- Mentor other developers.
- Contribute to strategy, design, implementation, testing, operations, and process improvement as the leader of a Scrum team.
- Build something incredible!
Responsibilities of the Team Lead Software Engineer:
- Lead a team of software engineers (Frontend, Backend and Full Stack) in an Agile and AWS environment
- Drive technical projects and provide leadership in an innovative and fast-paced environment
- Take responsibility for the overall planning, execution and success of complex technical projects
- Contribute technically to projects
- Work closely with product management team to ensure we're building the best products
Basic Qualification of the Team Lead Software Engineer:
- BA/BS in Computer Science or closely related degree or equivalent practical experience (Hacker School).
- 7+ years professional experience in software development.
- 3 years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience.
- Hands on programming capabilities Java or Scala.
Preferred Qualifications of the Team Lead Software Engineer:
- Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions.
- Deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly.
- Strong leader capable of motivating and energizing the very best software engineers, as well as gaining their respect.
- Experience shipping successful products
- Strong full stack skills (Java, Backbone.js, CSS, and etc); you will be able to discuss in depth both the design and your significant contributions to one or more projects.
- Experience with distributed system performance analysis and optimization.
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment.
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational/no-sql databases.
We’ve been helping professionals, employers, and recruiters thrive since 2003 and are based on the 51st floor of New York’s largest office building, with gorgeous views of New York Harbor and World Trade Center.