Team Lead Software Engineer
New York, NY
Based in Manhattan, Ladders is a comprehensive careers website that helps people Manage, Market and Move-up in their careers.
We are an engineering-team-driven organization. We empower our software engineers not just to build great products, but also to have a real say in ‘how’ and ‘why’ the products are being built. We practice continuous integration, test-driven development, peer code reviews, pair programming, and collaborative design studios. You will be on the cutting edge of current software development best practices and in the position to assist in the introduction of new ones.
At Ladders, the Team Lead Software Engineer has not only the technical chops to roll up his or her sleeves and provide technical leadership to major projects, but also the experience and skills needed to manage a team of engineers. The Team Lead contributes to product strategy, manages project goals, and develops an amazing team.
In this role you will:
- Write high-quality, efficient, testable code in Java, Scala, and other great languages/frameworks (RabbitMQ, Storm, ElasticSearch, Riak, React, Backbone.js, NoSQL databases).
- Collaborate with some of the best engineers in the industry.
- Mentor other developers.
- Contribute to strategy, design, implementation, testing, operations, and process improvement as the leader of a Scrum team.
- Build something incredible!
Responsibilities of the Team Lead Software Engineer:
- Lead a team of software engineers (Frontend, Backend and Full Stack) in an Agile and AWS environment
- Drive technical projects and provide leadership in an innovative and fast-paced environment
- Take responsibility for the overall planning, execution and success of complex technical projects
- Contribute technically to projects
- Work closely with product management team to ensure we're building the best products
Basic Qualification of the Team Lead Software Engineer:
- BA/BS in Computer Science or closely related degree or equivalent practical experience (Hacker School).
- 7+ years professional experience in software development.
- 3 years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience.
- Hands on programming capabilities Java or Scala.
Preferred Qualifications of the Team Lead Software Engineer:
- Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions.
- Deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly.
- Strong leader capable of motivating and energizing the very best software engineers, as well as gaining their respect.
- Experience shipping successful products
- Strong full stack skills (Java, Backbone.js, CSS, and etc); you will be able to discuss in depth both the design and your significant contributions to one or more projects.
- Experience with distributed system performance analysis and optimization.
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment.
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational/no-sql databases.