Mars Reel is a fast growing Mobile Sports Network designed for 13 to 24 year old viewers that have shifted away from full length sports programming on traditional cable networks to short highlight videos with cool music delivered to their mobile devices. The company was founded in 2010 and is headquartered in Burbank, CA.
Mars Reel is seeking an Editor, with a good sense of what makes an interesting angle to a story. The right individual will plan, coordinate, review and edit content. The successful candidate will be able to decide which ideas should be pursued and which should get dropped in order to meet quality and accuracy standards.
- Prepare, rewrite and edit copy to improve readability and/or supervise others.
- Read copy or proof to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax.
- Verify facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources.
- Develop story or content ideas.
- Oversee production, ensuring adherence to deadlines.
- Setting editorial standards, goals and expectations.
- Suggesting stories and generate headline ideas in alignment with targeted audience’s preferences.
- Check content for accuracy and errors.
- Proofread, edit and improve stories or pieces.
- Recruit and manage writers and reporters.
- Comply with media law and ethical guidelines.
- Meet deadlines and budget requirements.
- Proven working experience as an editor.
- Strong writing/editing/proofreading skills and an excellent portfolio.
- Hands on experience with MS Office and InDesign, Photoshop or other publishing tools.
- Proven familiarity with SEO and social media best practices.
- Excellent written skills.
- An eye for detail along with critical thinking.
- Prioritizing and multitasking.
- BS degree in Journalism or in related field.
Please include a short paragraph in your application explaining why you'd be a good fit for this position.