Innovation Designer (Full Time)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The Moment team is looking for great people!
Come make a difference with us!
[Who is The Moment]
The Moment is an Innovation Design Studio in Toronto, Canada. We work with client partners across industries and sectors and help set them up to thrive, adapt, and prepare for the future.
[What do we do]
We deploy a series of projects across a multidisciplinary approach, including service design, ethnographic research, foresight, business design, and organizational change. Our purpose is to empower people to lead chance and co-create a thriving human future. While this may seem like a big ambition (and we fully admit it!) we see ourselves as people who help our clients capably and confidently step through change.
[What we’re looking for]
We’re looking for passionate, creative, and experienced individuals to fill the role of Innovation Designer. We want you to help us fulfill our purpose: to empower people to lead change and co-create a thriving human future. Why are we hiring now? Over the last couple of years The Moment has been growing steadily. Our clients are continuing to see the benefits of Innovation as a practice and the industry as a whole is growing in spades. We need more capable, smart people to help our business and our clients successfully navigate change.
[Why you should join The Moment]
Our studio is a supportive and truly collaborative environment where you will partner with a dynamic interdisciplinary design team. You will become part of the emerging practice of innovation design, creating organizational capability and innovation practices that stick for a variety of clients.
We have (and are continuously developing) a responsive culture where the whole person matters, and where we strive to collaborate, inspire, and unleash the collective creativity with optimal structure and minimal hierarchy.
You’ll learn, you’ll teach, you’ll stretch and grow, here at The Moment.
You are passionate about leaving the world better than you found it. You recognize that the challenges of our time are unlike any that came before. You want to be a leader, not a spectator, in the design of tomorrow’s organizations and communities. You believe in the power of people, when given the right tools, to make our own future.
ABOUT THE POSITION
At The Moment, we are a small and nimble team, so no one finds themselves siloed into one kind of work. You will be involved in end-to-end innovation project work and you’ll be a key player in the development and shaping of our business from the inside out.
The Moment is a Teal organization, using Holacratic governance structure, where you can be a team member on one project and a lead on another. We’re looking for bright, bold, and brave folks who want to put their talents and gifts toward the whole business. We need people who are keenly interested in participating in a grand experiment on what it means to fully participate in the future of work.
At The Moment, you will be:
- Applying the service design toolkit to client engagements from design research all the way through to prototyping and testing
- Working with client teams to develop innovation capabilities through project engagements
- Facilitating the development of innovation strategy with client teams in a variety of organizations that are currently being disrupted
- Creating visual artefacts of the findings, insights and prototypes through the project lifespan
- Leading and supporting service design and innovation strategy work with clients in a variety of sectors including both the private and public sector
- Managing client engagements (time, resourcing, team) using an agile approach
- Pushing The Moment’s practice toward greater excellence/bringing your awesome to the team and accelerating your own learning
- Engaging in business development activities with existing and prospective clients to identify their pain points and find the best Moment program to suit their needs
- Helping to shape and build our team by supporting new talent, and working collaboratively with all Momenteers
As an innovation designer, you have a unique blend of innovation design capabilities:
- Service Design
- Process Design & Facilitation
- Design Research (incl. ethnography)
- Team Development & Coaching (incl. learning design)
- Innovation Leadership (incl. re-framing, selling, pitching and inspiring)
- Organizational & Culture Change
- Writing & Storytelling
- Visual Design
- Business Design
- Product Development (incl. lean and technology)
- Systemic Design
- Strategy Design & Foresight
Note: Every innovation designer has their own unique profile with areas of deep expertise and aspirations for new learning. We need people who have core practice and superpowers, and who are keen to build capabilities toward more aspirational areas. While we are currently seeking designers with practitioner level expertise in Service Design, Design Research and Process Design and Facilitation, we want to know about your unique profile.
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Are passionate about applying a human-centered approach to solving business and social challenges and sharing those practices with others
- Have a minimum 5 years of relevant work experience, with at least 3 in a project leadership role with demonstrated proficiency in one or more practices such as design research, service design, innovation strategy, and business design
- Are comfortable supporting or leading the facilitation of collaborative sessions and coaching of diverse client teams
- Are able to work independently and collaboratively across disciplines, with minimal direction or oversight
- Have a high degree of self-awareness and emotional intelligence when working with people of diverse backgrounds and ways of thinking
- Are comfortable working through ambiguity on projects from problem finding through prototyping to solutions, and are relentlessly optimistic
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment with multiple projects and genuinely enjoy working in a multidisciplinary team
- Are excited about the possibilities to help define the future of work through self-managed teams and agile leadership
- Are excited about working with clients from multiple sectors, and making the world a better place
- Excel when you have room to be entrepreneurial, to step into gaps, to do what needs to get done... as opposed to preferring to be told what to do
- A cover letter highlighting your unique innovation designer profile and what you are most curious about in the world
- Your current resume
- A portfolio of your work
- Consider filling in our Innovation Designer Capability Map
Please note that we will only be able to consider applicants who are eligible to work in Canada
- Deadlines for applications - March 24th, 2019
- We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis up until March 24th
ABOUT THE MOMENT
The Moment’s purpose is to empower people to lead change and co-create a thriving human future.
We are an Innovation Design Studio based in Toronto, Canada. We partner with clients who are deeply committed to accelerating their innovation efforts in a world of rapidly increasing change. To accomplish this, we work with leaders to develop innovation strategies that support key organizational goals, offer our innovation design team to execute critical project work, and implement capability and culture building programs. Our mission is to shift our client organizations onto a path of lasting innovation.