Innovation Designer (Contract)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The Moment team is looking for great people to partner with! Join our contractor network to work with us on a project by project basis.
[Who is The Moment]
The Moment is an Innovation Design Studio in Toronto, Canada. We work with client partners across industries and sectors and help set them up to thrive, adapt, and prepare for the future.
[What do we do]
We deploy a series of projects across a multidisciplinary approach, including service design, ethnographic research, foresight, business design, and organizational change. Our purpose is to empower people to lead change and co-create a thriving human future. While this may seem like a big ambition (and we fully admit it!) we see ourselves as people who help our clients capably and confidently step through change.
[What we’re looking for]
We’re looking for Innovation Designers to join The Moment on a contract basis. Why contract? We know that The Future of Work is changing, and people may prefer to work in different models other than the traditional full time role. Additionally, we purposely look for opportunities to bring fresh perspectives and approaches into our project teams. Our business is growing quickly and there will be opportunities for talented individuals who prefer to contract project to project as part of our extended Moment team.
[Why you should join The Moment]
Our studio is a supportive and truly collaborative environment where you will partner with a dynamic interdisciplinary design team. You will become part of the emerging practice of innovation design, creating organizational capability and innovation practices that stick for a variety of clients.
We’re looking for talented people who have expertise in one or more of our core Innovation Design capabilities. We’re looking for a range of backgrounds and aptitudes, and levels of experience.
We’d love to get to know you and what you bring to the table - introduce yourself! We’ll be looking to qualify multiple people for this role so that when projects arise that meet both your skill and your availability, you’re ready to jump in. Over the course of the coming months we will be exploring different ways to engage with this network to get to know you better and how you’ll work with us in various ways. By submitting a portfolio and resume below, you’re expressing interest in being contacted in the near future.
Contractors who work with The Moment will have the chance to:
- Apply the service design toolkit to client engagements from design research all the way through to prototyping and testing
- Work with client teams to develop innovation capabilities through project engagements
- Facilitate the development of innovation strategy with client teams in a variety of organizations that are currently being disrupted
- Create visual artefacts of the findings, insights, and prototypes through the project lifespan
- Lead and support service design and innovation strategy work with clients in a variety of sectors including both the private and public sector
As an innovation designer, you have a unique blend of innovation design capabilities:
- Service Design
- Process Design & Facilitation
- Design Research (incl. ethnography)
- Team Development & Coaching (incl. learning design)
- Innovation Leadership (incl. re-framing, selling, pitching and inspiring)
- Organizational & Culture Change
- Writing & Storytelling
- Visual Design
- Business Design
- Product Development (incl. lean and technology)
- Systemic Design
- Strategy Design & Foresight
A note: Every innovation designer has their own unique profile with areas of deep expertise and aspirations for new learning. We look for people who can contribute to a projects though their core practice and superpowers and want to know about your unique profile!
To learn more about what an innovation designer does, please check out our post: What is an Innovation Designer? For tips on building a great portfolio and to understand The Moment’s hiring process, see our recent blog post.
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Are passionate about applying a human-centered approach to solving business and social challenges and sharing those practices with others
- Have relevant work experience with demonstrated proficiency in one or more core Innovation Designer practices.
- Are comfortable supporting or leading the facilitation of collaborative sessions and coaching of diverse client teams
- Are able to work independently and collaboratively across disciplines, with minimal direction or oversight
- Have a high degree of self-awareness and emotional intelligence when working with people of diverse backgrounds and ways of thinking
- Are comfortable working through ambiguity on projects from problem finding through prototyping to solutions, and are relentlessly optimistic
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment and genuinely enjoy working in a multidisciplinary team
- Are excited about working with clients from multiple sectors, and making the world a better place
- Excel when you have room to be entrepreneurial, to step into gaps, to do what needs to get done... as opposed to preferring to be told what to do
Learn more about what it's like to work with The Moment:
How to introduce yourself to The Moment:
- A cover letter highlighting your unique innovation designer profile and what you are most curious about in the world
- Your current resume
- A portfolio of your work
- Fill in our Innovation Designer Capability Map
Please note that we will only be able to consider applicants who are eligible to work in Canada
- We will be reviewing submissions on a rolling basis and will be engaging with the network in the coming months
ABOUT THE MOMENT
The Moment’s purpose is to empower people to lead change and co-create a thriving human future.
We are an Innovation Design Studio based in Toronto, Canada. We partner with clients who are deeply committed to accelerating their innovation efforts in a world of rapidly increasing change. To accomplish this, we work with leaders to develop innovation strategies that support key organizational goals, offer our innovation design team to execute critical project work, and implement capability and culture building programs. Our mission is to shift our client organizations onto a path of lasting innovation.