Experienced Backend Engineer - Java - Remote
Engineering – Java /
Theorem is looking for a motivated craftsperson to join our global team of 130+ professionals to support our growing distributed services business. We are on a mission to dismantle the traditional consulting ecosystem and replace it with an effective framework for innovation that transforms the way businesses think about and solve problems from the inside out.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
As Experienced Backend Engineer you will build greenfield and brownfield, scalable web platforms. In addition to providing input on app architecture, you will create and review pull requests daily and engage with internal teams and directly with clients with an agile environment. You will work in small teams with a product manager, designers and other engineers to scope design and implement features.
WHO YOU ARE
You are a passionate technologist with the discipline to create and finish projects. You have opinions about your favorite open source projects, or perhaps you have contributed to some or started one of your own. You are a communicator. Whether you are raising the flag within an implementation or sharing your favorite playlist in Slack, you will not shy away from letting your voice be heard.
We are only considering applicants within the United States or Canada in order to satisfy security and background check requirements.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Help design and build scalable enterprise web applications in an effort to modernize the technology that runs the energy grid using Modern Java, Spring boot environment
- Engage daily with your distributed, remote engineering team working on different layers of the infrastructure
- Collaborate with product designers and clients to clarify requirements, prototype functionality and build products
- Plan, estimate and prioritize work in a remote, distributed team environment
- Guide our clients in best practices in order to achieve great project success
QUALIFICATION AND SKILLS
- 5 + years of professional experience
- Strong server side development experience utilizing Java and Spring Boot
- Good knowledge of design and architectural patterns and development best practices
- Previous experience building scalable creating microservices is required
- Strong RDBMS experience (PostgreSQL specific features is a plus) is required
- Messaging experience with technologies like Kafka, Kineses, RabbitMQ, or similar is a must. Kafka is preferred.
- Experience deploying to containerized environments such a Docker and Kubernetes is also a strong plus
- Demonstrated proficiency with server side development using 2 or more programming languages such as Typescript, Scala, Python, Go or Rust, in addition to what is required for this role is highly preferred
- Strong hands on experience using Git is required
- Previous professional experience with cloud providers is required.
- Previous remote work experience is required
- Previous experience collaborating on highly distributed teams
- Previous consulting experience is a strong plus
- Experience working within an Agile/Scrum environment.
- Possess a strong and reliable internet connection.
WHO WE ARE
Founded in 2007, Theorem LLC (https://theorem.co) is a remote-first technology consulting company, fully distributed by design. We are privately-owned and committed to building a sustainable organization, at the company level, and for each of our team members.
Our services range from new product development, pure R & D, legacy modernization, pricing strategy development, revenue generation, process optimization, and organizational transformation and cultural design.
Customers come to us because they need to change to succeed and looking for a solution that isn't just about technology — but also people, process, and leadership. We consult, form a diverse team of experts, and deliver strategy and execution under one roof.
Current and past customers include some of the household names on the Fortune 200 list but also start-ups and non-commercial organizations.
BENEFITS AND PERKS
TEAM RETREAT - Once a year the entire Theorem team gets together at an inspiring location to meet, work and play.
HEALTHY BODY, HEALTHY MIND - HAPPY TEAM - We offer paid vacation and support healthy lifestyles through our physical fitness benefits program.
HEALTHCARE & FINANCE - For US & UK based full time employees; we have comprehensive benefits.
Theorem expects all team members to be honest, trustworthy, and operate with integrity. Discrimination and all unlawful harassment (including sexual harassment) in employment is not tolerated. We encourage success based on our individual merits and abilities, and all decisions regarding recruitment, hiring, promotion, compensation, employee development decisions such as training, and all other terms and conditions of employment, are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, genetics, nationality, national origin, citizenship status, employment status, ethnicity, ethnic origin, color, creed, religion, belief, age, family or parental status, pregnancy, marital status, sex, gender, sex or gender assigned at birth, gender identity, sexual orientation, sexual preference, lifestyle, social class, military status, disability, hairstyle, physical features, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We oppose all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination. Theorem encourages applicants of all ages. Theorem is an equal opportunity employer. No statements by Theorem are intended to create an offer of employment unless made in writing, signed by an officer of the company and no offer shall become effective unless countersigned by the prospective employee.