Senior Finance Associate
New York, NY /
The Recount was founded by John Heilemann and John Battelle in 2019 as a place to find short form video content that would keep you updated on the news — without all the extra stuff. The Recount is a leading media platform that produces high quality journalism across a suite of digital, social and experiential products at the intersection of politics, business, tech and culture. Through more than a dozen short-form programs, streaming content and a growing podcast network, The Recount solves two central problems in media today: information overload and time famine. We want people to know the important stuff and not have to waste time on the things that aren’t.
About the Role
Recount Media is seeking a senior finance associate to help lead the company's long-term strategic planning process and manage the day-to-day finance operations of the business, including budgeting, forecasting, accounting and analysis. This role will work closely with the company’s operations teams to create and manage all finance related systems. This is a high-impact role that will offer tremendous growth opportunities for the right person.
This position will report to the VP, Business Affairs and Operations. We have reopened offices in NYC. At this time remote work is still in effect and eventually phase into a hybrid model in NYC.
What you'll do:
- Working cross-functionally with department leads, assisting in leading the quarterly and annual budgeting process and track adherence to budget over time
- Partner closely with our accounting firm to reconcile the month-end close process and liaise on audit and tax matters
- Manage the full lifecycle of the company’s accounts payables and receivables
- Creating monthly reconciliation and variance analysis reports
- Create and implement an accounting system for tracking expenses and revenue
- Reconcile payroll and company’s T&E, including employee expense reimbursements
- Work cross-functionally and partner with other business groups at Recount, including Content, Sales, Marketing and Events
- Establish and maintain accounting policies and procedures, and identify areas for improvement and cost efficiency
What You'll Need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or equivalent work experience
- 2-5 years related work experience (finance, accounting, budgeting)
- Proficiency with Excel required; familiarity with Google Suite and accounting software preferred
- Ability to build strong relationships, working productively and collaboratively with all levels of employees and executive management
- Flexibility, willingness to learn, and enthusiasm for working in a startup
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Interest in media and politics preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, take initiative, and be able to influence appropriately and effectively
- Dynamic team player who understands the importance of the role as a key support partner to multiple stakeholders
- Superb attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and deliver in a fast-paced environment
Read about our recent Series B win
The Recount offers:
Competitive salary with impressive benefits and great perks portfolio.
13 Paid Holidays
Flexible Paid Time Off
Leave of Absence
Culture, Fun, and Community
The Recount is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.