Senior Product Designer
New York, NY
Design & Product
Recount Media is hiring a Senior Product Designer to help shape the future of news consumption. This role will be our first full-time design hire and is part of our fast-growing product development team. In your first six months, you’ll play an integral role in defining and building out our digital product ecosystem across platforms.
Recount Media is a fast-growing startup backed by A-list investors focused on high quality journalism and short form video with a simple mission – to deliver the news that matters in good faith and without wasting your time or insulting your intelligence. Our flagship show, The Daily Recount, is a daily recap that remixes television news to tell you the stories that matter in politics in 5 minutes or less. We are building a radically new media platform across mobile apps and the web that will change the way video news is consumed.
- You are responsible for all aspects of the design of our digital products, including: user research, UX design, visual design, and prototyping
- You will drive a thoughtful, inclusive user-centered design process which balances tight deadlines with user and business needs
- You will work collaboratively alongside engineering, editorial and business leads to develop product vision and roadmaps
- You will proactively engage with stakeholders, cross-discipline team members; filtering and prioritize various types of feedback
Who You Are
- Experienced maker: You have 5+ years of experience as a leading individual contributor on a product design team for desktop and mobile
- People-centered mentality: You are a tireless advocate for the end user, grounding your design decisions in user research and insights whenever possible
- Iterative and open-minded: You are constantly looking to hone design instinct through continual feedback from users and stakeholders alike
- Cross-disciplinary collaborator: You enjoy working across all aspects of design, leading a project from conception through completion; you have experience collaborating with founders, product designers, growth experts, and engineers
- Strategic, systems-thinker: You are able to translate brand essence into scalable design systems; you may have experience working on branding efforts and implementing design systems
- Visual astute: You bring a sense of visual acuity to your work, demonstrating a solid understanding of layout, typography, and visual hierarchy
- Comfortable with ambiguity: You are comfortable with the structured chaos of an early stage startup
- Future-oriented: You’re passionate about shaping the future of news consumption and eager to pave the way forward a new approach in the media space
We care deeply about building a diverse team, and supporting every team member in their career and skill growth. We are dedicated to creating and maintaining a respectful workplace that values everyone on our team bringing their whole selves to work. We are committed to paying market-competitive compensation.