Staff Product Designer
Design – Design & Product /
We’re building the more sustainable future of commerce in cities and we’re backed by the best VC partners, including Andreessen Horowitz, Redpoint, First Round and Construct Capital. We're on a mission to make everyday sustainable choices effortless and solve one of the most consequential problems of our generation by building the first ever zero-waste two-way last-mile logistics network that'll power the future of commerce.
Staff Product Designer
At The Rounds we believe that a great consumer experience is a defensible moat and that great design has a way of becoming great products and services. We’re looking for an extraordinary hands-on, proactive, multidisciplinary designer to lead Product Design. The ideal candidate "majors" in Digital Product Design and "minors" in Consumer Brand, i.e. great experience in consumer retail across ecommerce/subscription products and digital marketing channels. You see the big picture, but also know that great brands and great design comes down to execution and the details.
In this role, you'll take on complex problems and design elegant, simple, and unique solutions that surprise and delight Members in ways that are distinctly ‘The Rounds’. Join our team if you are mission-driven, looking to make a big impact, flourish in a fast-paced environment, and are excited to build a household, consumer-tech name-brand. As our senior/lead designer, you’ll get to lead our design vision, influence the future of sustainable commerce, and contribute to a culture of creative excellence. This high-impact role reports directly to our VP of Product & Engineering and partners closely with our Co-Founder/CEO (who has deep experience in branding and is a champion of its ability to drive the business). You must be NYC based or open to relocation (this role is 100% IRL).
- Design digital products that are not only awesome to look at, but also extremely intuitive and make managing everyday chores an amazing experience for our Members
- Conduct user research, prototype creation, usability testing, and leverage other qualitative and quantitative methods to inform and validate design decisions
- Lead the design strategy for the company while also executing on the design, both individually and with a small team of freelance partners
- Partner with the other Brooklyn-based Product Development leaders to set a long-term product vision and to rally our company around the potential of that vision
- Partner with our brand/visual designers to bring our brand to life across every aspect of the business, from digital product design, to art direction across channels, to visual identity of physical experiences, to our brand guidelines
- As a bonus, you’ll have an opportunity to stretch into brand / visual / art direction, helping establish our voice as a leading and innovative consumer brand
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, including Merchandising, Marketing, and Service Design
- Expand on our Design System to establish a delightful and consistent user experience across all our digital touchpoints
- Use critical thinking and strategic decision making skills to weigh business vs creative goals
- A multidisciplinary designer with 6+ years of experience in digital product design at design-led consumer company, including 2+ years in ecommerce or consumer marketplaces
- Highly skilled in designing delightful UX and beautiful UI from start to finish for both web and mobile
- Highly collaborative, driven by creative excellence and great design craft, collaborating with partners and inspiring other designers to uplevel design outside the digital product (email/sms/push, marketing materials, packaging design, etc)
- Excellent at leading validation of experience concepts through the full suite of user research techniques
- Experienced with user segmentation, with a keen understanding of how to tune the experience based on what works best for each segment
- A self-starter, able to work independently across multiple tasks under minimal supervision and quickly communicate design concepts through sketches, mockups, wireframes
- Proficient in Figma for both designing and building an effective design system
- Passionate about sustainability, brand and design within a tech startup environment
- Able to inspire everyone at The Rounds to think bigger about what design could mean as we work towards achieving our mission
The base salary for this full-time position, which spans across multiple internal levels depending on qualifications, ranges between $165,000 - $224,00 plus benefits & equity.
Here at The Rounds, we’re looking for fast learners with a passion for sustainability. People succeed in our Company culture when they are intensely focused on our Members and are energized by and have the work ethic to solve hard problems Our goal is to do the best work of our careers here.
You’re encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match the job description, especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. We have a diverse set of problems to solve and need a diverse set of perspectives to imagine a greener future and build what’s missing; including but not limited to race, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, and dis/ability.