Senior .Net Engineer - Backend
Technology – Development /
Our Mission 🚀
Trainline is the leading independent rail and coach travel platform selling rail and coach tickets to millions of travellers worldwide. Via our highly rated website and mobile app, people can seamlessly search, book and manage their journeys all in one place. We bring together millions of routes, fares and journey times from 270+ rail and coach carriers across 45 countries. We offer our customers the best price for their journey and smart, real time travel information on the go. Our aim is to make rail and coach travel easier and more accessible, encouraging people to make more environmentally sustainable travel choices.
Technology @ Trainline 🚄
Over half of our staff are technologists who are making an impact on how people travel through the use of high-quality software.
At Trainline we have a modern and scalable tech platform that is built for volume and feature growth. Our mission is to find the perfect journey for our customer, and to do it in a fast, intuitive, reliable, and economic way. In a highly dynamic industry and with the ever-changing needs of our users, we must be ready to act, test, and measure quickly, in a way that only extensive and focused use of technology can enable us to. We have the power to revolutionise our customers’ travel experience through technology innovation.
Did you know that Trainline has:
· 20+ engineering teams
· 400+ software engineers
· 40+ daily Production deployments
· 96m+ monthly visits
Introducing the Backend teams at Trainline👋
The Backend teams at Trainline build the core of Trainline’s world class product. We create the journey search functionality that millions of our customers use on a daily basis, the eCommerce platform that provides a secure and seamless experience and we connect Trainline to over 270 travel operating companies, across 45 countries in Europe and the rest of the world.
Each team has a targeted domain focus, ranging between journey search, fares calculation, bookings, fulfilment, payments, refunds, carriers’ integrations, real-time, disruptions and much more.
As a Senior Software Engineer at Trainline you will...🚄
· Deliver new functionality or features, using the most appropriate tools & techniques
· Ensure quality is at the heart of everything you and your team do
· Continuously improve the code base
· Keep our customer as the number one priority
· Actively identify blockers, boulders, time sinks and waste, and actively attempt to remove them
· Make significant contribution to technical decisions
· Act as a coach and mentor to others in the team
· Take full ownership of the development lifecycle from code to production, including deployment and monitoring
We'd love to hear from you if you...🔍
· Have hands on experience with .NET Core/C#
· Love using Agile development practices
· Have hands on experience working on software development of high-volume transactional applications
· Have experience in asynchronous service/processing
· Have good testing practices
· Enjoy mentoring less experienced engineers
· Have experience with Continuous Integration
· Thrive in a diverse, open and collaborative environment
· Have great communication skills
· Are proactive, focused, supportive, honest and a team player
· Have a passion to learn new skills
Our Technology Stack 💻
All our backend teams will give you the opportunity to work with a variety of technologies and patterns. At our core we have:
· C# as our preferred language
· ASP.NET Core
· .NET Core / .NET 5
· AWS as our cloud platform
· New Relic and ELK stack as monitoring and logging tools
And these are often supplemented by:
· MS SQL / PostgreSQL
· SNS / SQS / RabbitMQ
· TeamCity / GitLab CI
But why should you join?🤔
You will be working in a high performing and collaborative multi-cultural team. We have over 40 nationalities across our 3 offices in London, Paris and Edinburgh who work closely together.
We want our people to stretch their minds, abilities, and share their knowledge. Each year we hold The Trainline Tech Summit, which provides Trainliners with an opportunity to stand up and share their story, learnings, or new skills with their colleagues in a safe environment.
We've always paid special attention to flexible working as we value a strong work/life balance. The pandemic has taught us that a balance between remote working and being in a collaborative office environment leads to productive teams.
Our Culture 🤗
Everything begins with great people, as well as aptitude we put a heavy emphasis on attitude.
Coaches Over Heroes
· We prioritise the focus on being one team over elevating the heroics of an individual, for us the true heroes are those who are excellent at nurturing, coaching and generous in sharing their knowledge with others.
· Everything that we do takes into account the morale of every member of our team, their opportunities for growth and for participation in exciting challenges.
Mentoring and Learning
· We have a mentoring community that is constantly growing, we provide people with mentors or buddies from various teams.
· We hire awesome people capable of making smart decisions - empowerment is a great enabler of agility. It is within a supportive team that you will feel the strength to thrive and try new things knowing that everyone will be there for you along the way.
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.