Finance – Financial Control /
Trainline is an innovative, tech business with a mission to bring together the world’s rail, coach and other travel services into one simple experience. We aim to make travel easier and more accessible, encouraging people to make more environmentally sustainable travel choices. We’re hugely proud to be the world’s leading independent rail and coach travel platform and rank among the highest-rated travel and ticketing apps globally. Today, we offer our customers travel to thousands of destinations in and across 45 countries in Europe and beyond. That’s more than £3.7 billion in ticket sales annually, and over 96 million visits to our apps and websites each month. In another major milestone, last summer Trainline listed on the London Stock Exchange and is now part of the FTSE 250.
Our culture is central to our success. We’re driven to sustain our phenomenal growth from recent years, and this means we’re always working closely and collaboratively to turn our ideas into reality. It’s this sense of pace, innovating and improving pretty much everything we do, that makes Trainline so exciting and unique - we truly believe our work has a genuine impact and will change travel for the better.
The Finance team has been central to supporting the business through this continued growth. Headed up by Shaun McCabe (a proven Finance leader in Digital & Technology), the team is laser focused on thinking insight not simply numbers, adding value across the business and acting as a true commercial partner at every step.
To support our ambitious commercial goals, we’re expanding our world-class Finance team to drive the next stage of our development.
The role will include…
Reporting to our Senior Finance Manager, you will be the key point of contact for all customer card transaction (Settlement) and ticketing (Fulfilment) costs across Trainline – two of the most critical areas of our P&L. Delivering a robust month end process and satisfying internal and external reporting requirements, you’ll own these budget area working with the business to set and track targets providing commentary and analysis on variances throughout the year. In addition, you’ll be managing and mentoring a small team, and will partner closely with the business, getting to the bottom of these numbers and telling the story behind them.
With the importance of Settlement and Fulfilment costs to our business coupled with the fast-paced change you’d expect from our ever-expanding business, there will be a significant spotlight on process improvement within this role. We’ll look to you to proactively work with key business stakeholders, including the Data team, to identify areas of improvement, and define and implement new financial reporting processes, automating wherever possible.
Other key responsibilities include:
- End-to-end ownership of Group Settlement and Fulfilment P&L costs, analysing trends and being the key finance contact for queries from the business
- Managing the month end close process ensuring journals and balance sheet reconciliations are completed and reviewed within strict timeframes
- Creating and updating reporting decks which are presented to senior management and exec
- Leading the budget and reforecasting processes for Settlement and Fulfilment, and analysing against budget through the year
- Proactively building knowledge of internal financial reporting tools (including Microsoft D365) and championing product capabilities to wider finance team
- Working closely with the London head office team as required to provide insight and reporting around your areas of responsibility
This is a truly career defining role for someone passionate about both the technical and business sides of Finance looking for an opportunity to play an important part in a highly rated, growing team. In return for your hard work, we’ll provide you with lots of opportunity for progression across the breadth of Finance as you play your part in disrupting and defining a product that will change the way people traveland impacting millions of people every day.
The right candidate will be…
- A creative big thinker with a small ego to help achieve our ambitious plans
- A qualified ICAS, ACA, ACCA or CIMA accountant with 0-2 years’ PQE with a background from practice and have made your first move outside, or having qualified in industry
- Strong academic track record with clear-cut interpersonal skills necessary to build robust relationships across varying levels of business to a senior level
- Naturally inquisitive and analytical mindset, keen to understand the ‘why’ behind the numbers
- Excellent team management and mentoring skills, proven through working with junior staff in prior roles
- Decisive and confident in operating autonomously with a positive open-minded and enthusiastic attitude
- Comfortable working with large data sets
- Ambitious and driven, confident operating in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment, and open to new challenges as part of your day to day responsibilities
What we offer:
- 25 days holiday +2 extra days at Christmas
- Free private medical and dental insurance for you and your family (you just pay the tax on what you choose!)
- Life assurance & income protection
- Good pension scheme
- Season Ticket loan
- Charity leave
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave
- Free breakfast everyday and fruit galore!
....and many more
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.