Finance – Financial Control
Trainline is an innovative, tech business with a mission to make travel as simple, seamless and affordable as possible. We’re proud to be Europe’s leading independent train and coach platform and rank among the highest-rated travel and ticketing apps globally. Today, we offer our customers travel to thousands of destinations in and across 45 countries in Europe and beyond. That’s more than £2.7 billion in ticket sales annually, and over 80 million visits to our apps and websites each month.
Our culture is central to our success. We’re driven to sustain our phenomenal growth from recent years, and this means we’re always working closely and collaboratively to turn our ideas into reality. It’s this sense of pace, innovating and improving pretty much everything we do, that makes Trainline so exciting and unique - we truly believe our work has a genuine impact and will change travel for the better.
The Finance team has been central to supporting the business through this continued growth. Headed up by Shaun McCabe (a proven Finance leader in Digital & Technology), the team is laser focused on thinking insight not simply numbers, adding value across the business and acting as a true commercial partner at every step. To support our ambitious commercial goals, we’re expanding our world-class Finance team to drive the next stage of our development.
You’ll be involved in the preparation of the monthly management accounts and other reporting requirements. We’re looking for this role to genuinely partner with the business and provide the commercial support. With the deep knowledge of the business you develop, you’ll be providing meaningful insight and commentary, analysing performance, explaining variances to budget and reporting up to Board level as well as KKR, our PE owners.
The reach and impact of this role will continue to grow and develop with the expansion of the business, so you’ll need to be adept at dealing with change at the rapid pace we operate at. As such, there will be a plethora of ad hoc queries that you’ll need to respond to giving rise to some fascinating projects. Regardless of the complexity of the challenge, you’ll be excited about getting involved with new opportunities and will be skilled at managing expectations and prioritizing your workload independently.
Other key responsibilities include:
- Developing and maintaining a solid understanding of the business risks and opportunities in order to analyse performance, providing insightful commentary and explaining significant variances to budget
- Assisting with the preparation of the monthly management accounts
- Mentoring more junior team members and assisting with queries
- Working closely with the FP&A team to track performance against latest forecasts and supporting the budgeting/re-forecasting process
- Collaborating seamlessly with teams in Edinburgh and Paris, ensuring that the financial processes are working effectively and efficiently, driving improvements where required and using these relationships to help business commentary
- Keeping up to date with latest accounting standard changes and impact these will have on reporting
This is a truly career defining role for someone passionate about both the technical and commercial sides of Finance looking for an opportunity to play an important part in a small, growing team. In return for your hard work, we’ll provide you with lots of opportunity for progression across the breadth of Finance as you play your part in disrupting and defining a product that will change the way people travel and impacting millions of people every day.
- A creative big thinker with a small ego to help achieve our ambitious plans
- A qualified ACA or CIMA accountant either newly qualified or 1-3 years’ PQE
- Analytically minded with a blend of commercial know-how, financial discipline and technical accounting knowledge
- Strong interpersonally, able to build key relationships with senior members of the Group’s executive team
- A confident communicator with the ability to deliver messages and plans to fellow stakeholders – upwards and downwards
- Excellent at project and task management with the ability to adapt quickly to new situations. Proactive with a can-do attitude
What we offer:
- 25 days holiday +2 extra days at Christmas
- Free private medical and dental insurance for you and your family (you just pay the tax on what you choose!)
- Life assurance & income protection
- Good pension scheme
- Season Ticket loan
- Charity leave
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave
- Free breakfast everyday and fruit galore!
- Yoga Mondays
- Salsa classes
- Board Game nights
....and many more