Technology – Development
Our Mission 🚀
Trainline is the leading independent rail and coach travel platform selling rail and coach tickets to millions of travellers worldwide. Via our highly rated website and mobile app, people can seamlessly search, book and manage their journeys all in one place. We bring together millions of routes, fares and journey times from 260 rail and coach carriers across 45 countries. We offer our customers the best price for their journey and smart, real time travel information on the go. Our aim is to make rail and coach travel easier and more accessible, encouraging people to make more environmentally sustainable travel choices.
Technology @ Trainline
Over half of our staff are technologists, we're changing the way that people travel through the use of high quality software and technological innovation.
We know that great software requires great coding practices. Trainline is used by millions of people every day, we process over 200 ticket sales per minute, and 80 million+ transactions per month. It simply would not be possible to move fast enough if we were not able to trust our engineers to produce code of the highest quality. Here are some key practices which we insist upon across our teams that allow us to release over 300 times per week.
We review code via pull requests ✔️
We pair smartly✔️
We advocate Test-Driven Development (TDD)✔️
We treat staging like production✔️
What you’ll be working on;
- Architect efficient, effective and simple testing solutions
- Provide support as a horizontal function to all Trainline delivery teams • Identify opportunities for improvement to add to our QA Team backlog
- Mentor, Coach, Lead, and Pair with teams to facilitate the effective testing and quality improvements
- Help teams to Shift Left, using best practices in story refinement, TDD, BDD and effective quality gates along the CI pipelines
What to bring;
· Have experience designing and implementing test automation frameworks
· Knowledge of software deployment (CI/CD) through tools such as Docker or Kubernetes
· Thorough understanding of latest test environments, including methodologies such as shift left
· Experience in a high-volume web environment with tools such as webdriverio or cypress
· Knowledge of TDD / BDD and unit testing.
· Thorough understanding of Agile development methodologies
Great to have / Extras:
· Experience implementing shift-left in an organisation
· Experience in coaching software developers and development teams
· Leadership experience
Our Culture 🤗
Everything begins with great people, as well as aptitude, we put a heavy emphasis on attitude.
Coaches Over Heroes
- We prioritise the focus on being one team over elevating the heroics of an individual, for us the true heroes are those individuals who are excellent at nurturing, coaching and generous in sharing their knowledge with others.
- Everything that we do takes into account the morale of every member of our team, their opportunities for growth and for participation in exciting challenges.
Mentoring and Learning
- We have a mentoring community that is constantly growing, we provide people with mentors or buddies from various teams.
- We hire awesome people capable of making smart decisions - empowerment is a great enabler of agility.
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.