Senior SQL Server DBA
Technology – Infrastructure
Trainline is an innovative, tech business with a mission to make travel as simple, seamless and affordable as possible. We’re proud to be Europe’s leading independent train and coach platform and rank among the highest-rated travel and ticketing apps globally. Today, we offer our customers travel to thousands of destinations in and across 45 countries in Europe and beyond. That’s more than £2.7 billion in ticket sales annually, and over 80 million visits to our apps and websites each month.
Our culture is central to our success. We’re driven to sustain our phenomenal growth from recent years, and this means we’re always working closely and collaboratively to turn our ideas into reality. It’s this sense of pace, innovating and improving pretty much everything we do, that makes Trainline so exciting and unique - we truly believe our work has a genuine impact and will change travel for the better.
The Senior DBA will primarily be responsible for availability and support of our core databases running the latest versions of SQL Server (2017) in our Production Environments but will also have the opportunity to Administer the new era of Cloud databases such as ElasticCache, Dynamodb, Aurora (MySQL & Postgres) and Cassandra. The role is split 70% SQL Server , 30% other databases.
As we are hosted in AWS, someone who is practical/hands-on SQL Server DBA with deep knowledge and experience in RDBMS will do well here, project implementation and Production support, but who is also interested in carving their future in the latest AWS database landscape. Database enthusiasts who want to be limitless in their database understanding – you'll bring the thirst for learning and we have the technology and training for you.
You'll be part of our world class DBA team where automation of databases, proactive end to end monitoring, keeping up to latest features and Security best practices.
What You'll Be Working On:
- Administration and support of Production database services to ensure the highest standards of availability, resilience, security, performance and reliability
- Hands-on experience of configuring, administering and performance tuning
- SQL Server/Windows Cluster resources and troubleshooting errors
- Managing databases across the different software delivery environments
- Administration, implementation and support of Always-On and Database Mirroring
- Establish and maintain sound backup and recovery policies and procedures
- Implement, document and maintain database security in line with PCI compliance and best practices
- Work as part of a team schedule to provide 24x7 support
- Providing support for other RDBMSs like Oracle, ElasticCache, Dynamodb, Aurora (MySQL & Postgres) and Cassandra. Contribute to Change and Incident processes as appropriate
- One click builds of SQL Server Always-On clusters in AWS.
- Full automation of SQL Server DR Recovery in AWS using Terraform®
- Supporting our growth with enormous database sizes whilst ensuring optimal performance.
- Automated Database schema refreshes in test environments to ensure consistency with Production
Examples of what we are currently building, or have on our roadmap
What You'll Bring
- 6+ year’s solid Production support\administration experience in the SQL Server product area
- Experience with SQL Server 2016+ administration in a high transactional 24/7 OLTP environment
- Ability to grasp core RDBMS principles and apply them across other database areas like Postgres, MySQL and Oracle.
- Experience/understanding of Windows Server 2008, 2012 and 2016 on virtual machines, cloud infrastructure and physical blades
- SQL Server performance and tuning skills including server configuration and extended events
- Experience of migrating databases across instances/servers/domains
- Practical experience in monitoring and tuning a database to provide a high availability service (Foglight, SCOM, AWS Cloudwatch)
- MS SQL Server Clustering, Always-On and Mirroring
- Hands-on knowledge of isolation levels, collations & resolving deadlocks
- Experience of operating in a Change Management environment with good understanding of frameworks and processes.
- Linux skills
- Third party backup software (Quest Litespeed or similar)
- Database design - physical & logical architecture.
- Experience with any of the big 3 public cloud providers (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- AWS EC2, RDS, CloudFormation or Terraform