Senior Platform Engineer
Technology – Infrastructure
Trainline is an innovative, tech business with a mission to make travel as simple, seamless and affordable as possible. We’re proud to be Europe’s leading independent train and coach platform and rank among the highest-rated travel and ticketing apps globally. Today, we offer our customers travel to thousands of destinations in and across 45 countries in Europe and beyond. That’s more than £2.7 billion in ticket sales annually, and over 80 million visits to our apps and websites each month.
Our culture is central to our success. We’re driven to sustain our phenomenal growth from recent years, and this means we’re always working closely and collaboratively to turn our ideas into reality. It’s this sense of pace, innovating and improving pretty much everything we do, that makes Trainline so exciting and unique - we truly believe our work has a genuine impact and will change travel for the better.
The Platform Delivery team are responsible for the build, deployment and management of all server infrastructure across the entire Trainline platform, from the customer’s first connection all the way through to the web apps themselves. This infrastructure underpins all channels which collectively bring in over £2.3 billion in ticket sales every year. That means at peak times over 175 people per minute are booking Trains…. We are a growing company that loves new technology. We run a diverse platform that is hosted on AWS utilising the best of what it has to offer, coupled with our own tooling this allows us to embrace Continuous Delivery, DevOps and Cloud environments to their full potential. You will often find members of our leadership team as well as our development community speaking at meetups, conferences and most recently the Global AWS Summit in Las Vegas.
Our team consists of 7 infrastructure engineers who cover all areas of Infrastructure including Cloud and physical Server management; Windows & Linux builds, deployment & management, CDN configuration, load balancing, PKI, datacentre management and a variety of other technologies that combine to provide the Platform for all other teams to use.
You will be working alongside the Principal in the team to advise on technical solutions whilst being very much hands-on in their implementation. You will be working in an enterprise environment with exposure to the latest technology (particularly around automation and P/IaaS) and high growth agile environments that require innovative and robust solutions to solve complex requirements.
You will also be aware of wider company\business requirements and will take onboard the expertise of colleagues to make technical decisions that are then driven through to implementation and adoption.
You will be outgoing, able to build relationships across the company, able to work with others and someone who can lead by example translating vision to practical solutions on the ground.
What you'll be working on...
- Contribute to the overall management AWS cloud infrastructure, from IAM permissions to multiple service implementations
- Contribute to the overall management of the CDN Infrastructure, including security and performance enhancing services
- Work with the Principals across the company to design, document and implement solutions that cross one or more infrastructure and operations functions – be the glue that brings together solutions to complex issues.
- Take ownership of problems and proactively resolve technical problems, ensuring that technical solutions continue to meet business requirements. Take full accountability for actions taken and decisions made.
- Work with the Principals across the company on aspects of governance and approval of initiatives that are infrastructure based, or require support from other infrastructure functions from other business units (e.g. Development, Marketing, Contact Centre, Security etc)
- Proactively ensure that Availability, Performance and Reliability are included in technical and architectural discussions, actively question decisions and provide guidance and own experience to ensure no stone is left unturned and risks are identified and highlighted
- Keep up to date with the latest relevant technologies, continually evaluating their use for Trainline platform\infrastructure.
- Work with DevOps Engineers in product aligned teams to ensure their needs in the P\IaaS space are met and that there are agreed expectations on both sides, working to document guidance and improve self-service
- Use your own experience and learning to provide a fresh approach to technology and processes, thinking outside the box coming up with innovative and unique solutions, pushing the bar higher each time
- Provide a teaching\coaching role to members of the Platform Delivery teams so that they can understand choices made, keep up to date with latest technology choices and continue their professional development.
What you'll bring...
- Proven experience working in enterprise and AWS Cloud environments
- Demonstrable knowledge of latest technologies in the P\IaaS space, particularly around automation.
- Able to lead by example, a hands-on technical support engineer who has ‘been there and done that’ and is not afraid to get stuck in and implement their designs.
- A solid background in technology with demonstrable career progression through roles with increasing technical proficiency
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship building and influencing skills
- Highly customer focused
- Enterprise Technology: Concepts around High availability clustered systems, N+1 (or more) architecture, Multisite\datacentre deployments, Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity
- AWS: EC2, S3, Lambda, VPC, CloudWatch, EKS, ECS, IAM and many more
- Load balancer infrastructure, working knowledge and previous experience in Nginx preferred
- Experience with E-commerce and Website Operations
- Akamai / CDN experience.
- Automation and Infrastructure as Code: Puppet, Ansible, Terraform
- Operating System: Linux
- Knowledge of environments management and configuration orchestration technologies (eg GitHub, Team City, Artifactory, GitLab)
- Containers - Use of Docker, Kubernetes
- Experience working with Public DNS and Certificates
- Production experience with frontend web services including Apache, IIS and NGINX
- Firm grasp on security and its importance within a Cloud environment, PCI-DSS
- Good understanding of the HTTP stack and RESTful API’s desirable
- Knowledge of coding and use of Regular Expressions, mod rewrite etc, software development experience is a bonus
- Scripting knowledge: PowerShell. Automating repetitive tasks with custom scripting
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows, including knowledge of Active Directory Domains, DNS, DHCP, IIS etc.
- Understanding of DevOps and Agile Methodologies
- Experience with Monitoring & Web Analytics Tools
- Understanding of Networking such as TCP\IP networking, Firewalls, NAT Instances, Internet technologies
Technical ability & Experience
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.