Head of PPC
Commercial – Marketing
Trainline is an innovative, tech business with a mission to bring together the world’s rail, coach and other travel services into one simple experience. We aim to make travel easier and more accessible, encouraging people to make more environmentally sustainable travel choices. We’re hugely proud to be the world’s leading independent rail and coach travel platform and rank among the highest-rated travel and ticketing apps globally. Today, we offer our customers travel to thousands of destinations in and across 45 countries in Europe and beyond. That’s more than £3.7 billion in ticket sales annually, and over 96 million visits to our apps and websites each month. In another major milestone, last summer Trainline listed on the London Stock Exchange and is now part of the FTSE 250.
Our culture is central to our success. We’re driven to sustain our phenomenal growth from recent years, and this means we’re always working closely and collaboratively to turn our ideas into reality. It’s this sense of pace, innovating and improving pretty much everything we do, that makes Trainline so exciting and unique - we truly believe our work has a genuine impact and will change travel for the better.
The Head of PPC is the leader for one of Trainline’s largest & most scalable digital marketing channels. PPC is core to our success and ambition and is a critical channel for us to continue to scale rapidly & efficiently, supporting the business’ growth ambitions as a fast-paced tech platform – we dream big!
The accounts are significant; spanning over 10 languages and serving ads in every country. With £multi-million budgets, both small & big wins can hugely support our business as we continue to grow globally.
The challenge... it's simple; millions of people need to travel in a way we can support. It’s the role of PPC to help navigate them to our platforms smartly & efficiently.
- Own the PPC strategy and levers that drive performance
- Create and deliver 3-month road maps for large & medium strategic initiatives
- Communicate the main levers/initiatives to a non-PPC audience
Marketing leadership responsibilities
- Attending & contributing to Financial / Commercial / Data & Analytics conversations
- Provide the vision for the continued growth of the channel and drive efficiency to support business economics
- The go-to subject matter expert for anyone in the business
- Contribute to strategic / budget / commercial discussions across channels
- Lead, coach and support a team of 3-4 PPC experts
- Ensure the team has the capacity, support and time to drive growth and performance uplift
- Enable professional development and stimulating job content
- Data manipulation and produce insights/actions from large data sets
- Forecasting performance / spend (yield curves)
- Ad-hoc analyses/diagnoses to ensure the channel is performing at its best
- Tracking & reporting spend & performance
- Automation – creating custom solutions to scale easier, monitor & react quicker, taking full advantage of rich data sources
- A cutting-edge PPC marketer who loves the tech-side of automation
- A true PPC subject expert with examples of best-in-class & advanced strategies/knowledge + associated impacts
- Proven track record of driving growth & efficiency through PPC campaigns with £multi-million budgets
- Proven experience creating advanced PPC strategies that have driven material improvements in either volume or efficiency
- A love to scale.. and scale further. Evidence of successfully expanding into & growing new territories
- An ability to unpick data to make the right decisions for the business
- Passionate about the customer journey from ad to landing page to booking flow
- Strong understanding and experience working with other channels; SEO, CRM, Display, Paid Social, Affiliates
- An inspirational leader & role model, willing to be hands-on when required
- A supportive manager, with team growth and development stories
- A clear, concise communicator to differing audiences
- Confident in communicating with stakeholders of all levels and representing PPC at Exec level updates
- Excellent organisational and analytical skills with a high attention of detail
- Strong communication & relationship building from a fast paced, scaling environment
- Highly analytical with a demonstrable experience of data manipulation and producing insights/actions from large data sets
- Understands the importance of automation and has experience in creating custom solutions to scale easier, monitor & react quicker
- High proficiency with excel & wider Office suite
- High proficiency with Google Ads / Editor / +Bing equivalents
- High proficiency with GA
- Good understanding of tagging/tracking & tag management systems (e.g. GTM)
- SA360 preferred (equivalent bid tech acceptable)
- Paid search experience on Baidu (desirable but not required)
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.