Senior Principal Engineer
Technology – Development /
Trainline is the leading independent rail and coach travel platform selling rail and coach tickets to millions of travellers worldwide. Via our highly rated website and mobile app, people can seamlessly search, book and manage their journeys all in one place. We bring together millions of routes, fares and journey times from 270+ rail and coach carriers across 45 countries. We offer our customers the best price for their journey and smart, real time travel information on the go. Our aim is to make rail and coach travel easier and more accessible, encouraging people to make more environmentally sustainable travel choices.
Technology @ Trainline
Over half of our staff are technologists who are making an impact on how people travel through the use of high-quality software.
At Trainline we have a modern and scalable tech platform that is built for volume and feature growth. Our mission is to find the perfect journey for our customer, and to do it in a fast, intuitive, reliable, and economic way. In a highly dynamic industry and with the ever-changing needs of our users, we must be ready to act, test, and measure quickly, in a way that only extensive and focused use of technology can enable us to. We have the power to revolutionise our customers’ travel experience through technology innovation.
Did you know that Trainline has:
· 20+ engineering teams
· 400+ software engineers
· 40+ daily Production deployments
· 600 services
· 96m+ monthly visits
As a Senior Principal Engineer at Trainline you will... 🚄
- Own the direction of the engineering culture at the organisational level
- Work with a high level of autonomy with regards to both focus areas and impact mechanisms
- Demonstrate and educate industry recognised engineering "best" practices/frameworks E.g. SOLID, TDD, Mediator, RESTful design etc.
- Influence and drive the technical strategic direction of the platform with engineering managers and architects
- Promote the Trainline technical culture externally
- Nurture/Grow the internal technical culture of Trainline
- Drive harmonization of best practices and processes across the organisation
- Lead new ways of thinking and new engineering initiatives across the org without defined authority
- Apply deep technical expertise to support teams in solving complex problems
- Work with architecture and backend platform teams to continually evolve the technical strategy
- Utilise understanding of cloud technologies to help teams engineer for high availability and performance of the platform
- Support project teams on the right pragmatic trade-offs between rapid delivery and long term supportable code
- Enhance the delivery capability of any backend team
- Takes ownership of a problem space where appropriate
Awareness and Impact
- Use passion and influence to drive impact at a wide scale
- Anticipates issues that any ideas provided could cause and pursue the win
- Be recognised as a “force multiplier” regardless of team or tech domain
- Deliver business value through sound technical decisions and actions
- Removes barriers for success through problem solving, collaboration and challenging the status quo
- Actively mentors' other engineers to reach their potential
- Present with confidence to various audiences with an understanding of how to tailor the communication to be most impactful
- Raise Trainline’s reputation in the technical community
- Seeks and provides constant constructive feedback
We'd love to hear from you if you have...🔍
- Experience developing and supporting engineers in their technical and career progression
- Demonstrable impact of engineering delivery
- Ability to work with a high level of autonomy
- Demonstrable knowledge of architectural concepts
- Understanding of cloud-native technologies and architecture
- Advanced experience with engineering processes such as CI/CD, Continuous Delivery and Agile.
- Deep .NET knowledge and understanding of core advanced topics Eg: Async, HTTP, memory management, profiling and debugging
- Experience working across multiple tech stacks
- Positive approach to problem solving
- Previously experience as a principal engineer
- Experience of working at enterprise level scale/throughput and reliability
- Technical leadership and ownership experience
But why should you join?
You will be working in a high performing and collaborative multi-cultural team. We have over 42 nationalities across our 5 offices in London, Paris, Edinburgh, Barcelona and Milan who work closely together.
We want our people to stretch their minds, abilities, and share their knowledge. Each year we hold The Trainline Tech Summit, which provides Trainliners with an opportunity to stand up and share their story, learnings, or new skills with their colleagues in a safe environment.
We've always paid special attention to flexible working as we value a strong work/life balance. The pandemic has taught us that a balance between remote working and being in a collaborative office environment leads to productive teams.
Coaches Over Heroes
We prioritise the focus on being one team over elevating the heroics of an individual, for us the true heroes are those who are excellent at nurturing, coaching and generous in sharing their knowledge with others.
Everything that we do takes into account the morale of every member of our team, their opportunities for growth and for participation in exciting challenges.
Mentoring and Learning
We have a mentoring community that is constantly growing, we provide people with mentors or buddies from various teams.
We hire awesome people capable of making smart decisions - empowerment is a great enabler of agility. It is within a supportive team that you will feel the strength to thrive and try new things knowing that everyone will be there for you along the way.
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.