Assistant Company Secretary
Legal – COSEC /
Trainline is an innovative, tech business with a mission to bring together the world’s rail, coach and other travel services into one simple experience. We aim to make travel easier and more accessible, encouraging people to make more environmentally sustainable travel choices. We’re hugely proud to be the world’s leading independent rail and coach travel platform and rank among the highest-rated travel and ticketing apps globally. Today, we offer our customers travel to thousands of destinations in and across 45 countries in Europe and beyond. That’s more than £3.7 billion in ticket sales annually, and over 90 million visits to our apps and websites each month. In another major milestone, Trainline listed on the London Stock Exchange in June 2019 and is now part of the FTSE 250.
Our culture is central to our success. We’re driven to sustain our phenomenal growth from recent years, and this means we’re always working closely and collaboratively to turn our ideas into reality. It’s this sense of pace, innovating and improving pretty much everything we do, that makes Trainline so exciting and unique - we truly believe our work has a genuine impact and will change travel for the better.
The Cosec & Legal team has been instrumental in supporting the business through this continued expansion. Headed up by Neil Murrin (a Legal leader in Digital & Technology), they have won several industry accolades in recent years including ‘Team of the Year’ at the British Legal Awards in 2018. Striking a balance between being innovative and high performing yet remaining close-knit and highly supportive of one another, this is a highly regarded team where people genuinely enjoy what they do and make a difference to the business every day!
The Company Secretarial function is responsible for administering our corporate governance processes, advising the Chair, the Board and the business on constitutional and corporate governance issues whilst delivering a professional and broad ranging company secretarial service. Working closely with our Deputy Company Secretary, you’ll support in the function’s day-to-day administration, embedding and evolving new and existing processes, as well as managing new components such as convertible bonds we issued recently. We’re a small but ever evolving team, and we strive for practical best practice in the way we operate end-to-end.
Impact is critical in this role - the team may be small, but it is hugely important as a function and carries great muscle within the business. We’re proud of our IPO in 2019 and our growing stature within the FTSE250, and with that has come key listing obligations you will look after. Delivering a professional and broad ranging Cosec service to the business, you’ll also engage with the Board, management team and wider business, and this hands-on role will develop over time with your enthusiasm and expertise.
Other responsibilities include:
- Corporate record keeping, completion and return of statutory filings, updating of statutory registers and minute books of the Company and compliance for subsidiaries (UK, with advisor support for international subsidiaries)
- Assisting with Board and Committee meetings, AGM and Annual Report production
- Supporting governance processes including the implementation of UK MAR and UK Corporate Governance Code, submission of RNS announcements, the operation of share plans and internal governance
- Providing company secretarial support to a variety of corporate transactions and assuming a project management role when required
- Building relationships across the business, in particular Legal, HR and Finance, and with external service providers to drive efficient performance
Commercially oriented with a fresh approach to think out of the box, you’ll ideally be an ICSA qualified company secretary or be the latter way through these exams. You’ll have broad experience in a listed company environment, and a familiarity with the operation of share plans. Well organized and comfortable working autonomously, you’ll bring great stakeholder management skills and experience of interacting with Board members and senior management.
Other key requirements we’re looking for include:
- Ability to manage compliance for subsidiaries including a small number of UK and European subsidiaries
- An understanding of Bribery Act, OFAC, DPA and FATCA compliance and experience of managing requirements
- Analytical, numerate, and a confident user of Diligent and Blueprint
- High-calibre and confident with proven ability to work on complicated projects, able to take a pro-active approach when needed
- Ability to prioritise and to keep deadlines within a fast paced and challenging environment
- Able to understand complex corporate issues, explain in a simple and accurate manner and propose realistic solutions as required
What we offer:
- 25 days holiday +2 extra days at Christmas
- Free private medical and dental insurance for you and your family (you just pay the tax on what you choose!)
- Life assurance & income protection
- Good pension scheme
- Season Ticket loan
- Charity leave
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave
- Free breakfast everyday and fruit galore!
- Yoga Mondays
- Salsa classes
- Board Game nights
....and many more
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.