Database Team Lead
Technology – Infrastructure /
Our Mission 🚀
Trainline is the leading independent rail and coach travel platform selling rail and coach tickets to millions of travellers worldwide. Via our highly rated website and mobile app, people can seamlessly search, book and manage their journeys all in one place. We bring together millions of routes, fares and journey times from 260 rail and coach carriers across 45 countries. We offer our customers the best price for their journey and smart, real time travel information on the go. Our aim is to make rail and coach travel easier and more accessible, encouraging people to make more environmentally sustainable travel choices.
Introducing the Platform Delivery organisation 👋
The Platform Delivery team cover all areas of infrastructure, reliability, platform and operations engineering across public cloud and data centres; Windows & Linux builds, deployment & management, CDN configuration, load balancing, PKI and a variety of other technologies that combine to provide the Platform for all other teams to use.
Introducing the Databases team👋
Our mission - to provide world class database solutions that enable Trainline to continue its double digit year on year growth. We strive to offer the right layer of abstraction for our Engineering teams and wider business functions as we support them to deliver against Trainline's Product Roadmap. At the core we provide Consultancy, Administration and support of Production database services to ensure the highest standards of Availability, Resilience, Security and Performance.
We work closely with the Product and Engineering teams from the start of an idea, gathering service requirements, defining suitable Data Models, ensuring that performance, scalability, security and observability requirements are baked in from the ground up. These solutions are then delivered from Dev through to test and into Production.
We are a small team of capable individuals who aspire to deliver excellence using the tools of this decade. Infrastructure as code is paramount to our ongoing mission and our ability to support a fast growing platform, we are looking for a new team member with a proven track record in delivering automated database solutions that is keen to drive improvement in this space.
The security of our customers data at the heart of everything we do at trainline. This presents us with organisation wide problems to solve that in turn enables us to be the SME’s across a broad portfolio of database technologies and principles included but not limited to - SQL Server, Oracle, Aurora (mysql & Postgres), dyanmodb, Cassandra & ElasticCache(Redis).
This gives you the opportunity to learn a wide set of Database skills and be the driver in our Database vision and Strategy for adopting cloud-native databases. We want a Database enthusiast who wants to be limitless in their database understanding – you bring the thirst for learning and we have the technology and training for you.
In the Databases team you will..
- Work closely with Trainline Engineering Teams to understand their current and future needs and translate those into Database blueprints, roadmap and backlog.
- Work with our experts at AWS to plan for the adoption of cloud-native solutions and continuously improve our maturity by providing the right guidance to those that require it.
- Contribute to our process, design guidelines and governance models and follow them.
- Lead the team, be results and outcome driven and as a technical go-to ensure the right solutions are delivered optimally, Reliably & with highest availability
- Continuously improve yourself and your team by suggesting and then helping implement new engineering processes and practices.
- Be responsible for managing 3 mid to snr database engineers
What you'll bring..
- Excellent understanding of Distributed Storage concepts, RDBMS design.
- Experience with one of the big cloud providers in designing Cloud-native database solutions like Aurora (mysql or Postgres), Dyanmodb, Google Spanner or Azure Database for PostgreSQL. Relative aws native solutions preferred.
- Deep experience Configuring and Administering any of the big RDBMS - SQL Server, Postgres, Oracle or mysql
- Proficient with Database tuning, performance monitoring, HA & recovery principles having practised them in large scale VLDB environment
- Profound leadership skills demonstrating being able to deliver large initiatives like Designing complex Database solutions, on-prem to Cloud moves or Heterogenous Database Migrations
- Adaptability, flexibility and the ability to do the right thing under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Infrastructure as Code: Terraform or Ansible for Database setup/deployments
- Experience of working within an E-commerce or at-scale business where security, availability and reliability are critical.
- Determine the best approach for resolving complex technical issues that will yield the desired turn-around time and optimal customer solution while minimising the impact to the customer.
- A self-motivated and independent thinker that shows initiative and routinely translates circumstances and understanding into actions that move the business forward in a measurable manner.
- Strong customer service skills, accurate and logical problem solving, and communication skills, plus the ability to excel in a team environment is essential
- Highly motivated and results / outcome driven.
- A passion for working with people to solve problems
- Experience with multiple OSS database systems (Amazon Aurora, Amazon RDS, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MariaDB, Redshift, Mongodb)
- Understanding of Unix/Linux systems as hosts for PostgreSQL/MySQL databases and client applications
- Relevant Application/Database re-platforming experience (Commercial to Open Source Engines)
- Experience delivering customer facing data products alongside a data engineering team
- Time spent working either closely with software architects or as part of an architecture community
- Experience building automated testing into your infrastructure as code
What you'll bring (Desirable)..
Our Culture 🤗
Everything begins with great people, as well as aptitude, we put a heavy emphasis on attitude.
Coaches Over Heroes
- We prioritise the focus on being one team over elevating the heroics of an individual, for us the true heroes are those individuals who are excellent at nurturing, coaching and generous in sharing their knowledge with others.
- Everything that we do takes into account the morale of every member of our team, their opportunities for growth and for participation in exciting challenges.
Mentoring and Learning
- We have a mentoring community that is constantly growing, we provide people with mentors or buddies from various teams.
- We hire awesome people capable of making smart decisions - empowerment is a great enabler of agility.
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.